Bacteria Consuming my dKH!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The sea monkeys Rock

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi All,

After 48 days my new tank has finally completed the fishless cycle (hurray!). Very happy indeed.

I am now continuing to add ammonia in small quantities and watching the PH / GH / KH to see what happens. I seed the tank with 3 drops which equates to 2PPM aprox. I wont be heavily stocking so that should be enough. I find 2PPM of ammonia is eaten in just a few hours. Previously I was adding much more ammonia so I think the bacteria have gotten quite strong, this could be my problem (below).

I live in an area of hard water. Out of the tap dGH/dKH=10. I am finding though that even after a few days my dKH is dropping to 2 (German degrees) or below if I leave it. I have done 90% WC's which brings it back, but very soon it simply drops again.

Any tips for keeping it stable as I know once its as low as 2 degrees (KH) I am in risk of a PH crash, or of starving the bacteria right?

I have attached a graph showing the PH activity. You can see the spike are where I've done a water change.

Much Appreciated

Stuart

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 54
I have that problem, but mine is due to having a lot of driftwood in the tank. The solution that has worked for me, is to add some coral rubble (either directly in the tank, or in the filter).

I have that problem, but mine is due to having a lot of driftwood in the tank. The solution that has worked for me, is to add some coral rubble (either directly in the tank, or in the filter).

Ah funny you should say that, I have Japanese soil which activity reduces the PH (presumably it also reduces KH) and large piece of drift wood.

Does the Corel rubble increase PH or just add buffer?

Ah funny you should say that, I have Japanese soil which activity reduces the PH (presumably it also reduces KH) and large piece of drift wood.

Does the Corel rubble increase PH or just add buffer?

Ummmmm ..... I don't know. Or I can't remember. I'm confused. Lol. No I think it increases the ph, because as it dissolves I have to add a bit more or my ph starts to drop.

It's 2.30am here. That's my excuse, and I'll be sticking with it! Lol

Back
Top Bottom