Bacteria in a bottle for a QT short term

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sobersteve323

Aquarium Advice Freak
For the record I don't normally use bacteria in a bottle to cycle a tank. However I'm considering it for my QT since it will only be for another 1.5 weeks (knock on wood no parasites show up). I have a seeded sponge filter in there but it seems to be having trouble keeping up with the bioload and I'll see about 1ppm of ammonia every day before the WCs (it slowly accumulates nitrates so I know it's cycled).

I've been doing multiple water changes daily to keep it near .25 but I'd like to try something else. Any concerns with using something like SafeStart? If it works it should be ok for the last part of quarantine right? I don't need the bacteria to last longer than that since ill be bleaching everything after.

Thanks for opinions.

Additionally, I would still be doing daily water changes just to suck up poops and such. Just prefer to not be doing multiple 75% ones. Sometimes you're just tired after work lol.

I've used Tetra Safe Start and it works! So I suppose you can use it but it would be ashamed to just kill all that beneficial bacteria after the fact. What type of filter are you using on the QT? You should get some mesh bags of BioMax and once you're cycled and done with the QT, just keep those extra bags of BioMax in your main tank's filter... So the next time you need to start up the QT, just pop those bags of BioMax in the QT's filter. An excellent example of a filter for the job would be an Aqua Clear. It's quite easy to just drop in the seasoned media when you need it.

There's been a bunch of back and forth debate threads on this topic. Apparently depending on the brand, you may not be getting the true stable bacteria needed then the next thing you know ... CRASH! They die and worst case everyone else in the tank from Ammo Poisoning afterwards.

As Brian mentioned a bag of ceramic rings would do nicely ... If you have seeded material, then the BB just need to multiply. 1ppm's a fair amount for them to feed and the biomax should provide the surface area. Then plop it back in your main tank when done.

Thanks for the responses.

I'm pretty anal about sterilizing everything after using my QT even if the fish didn't show signs of illness. It's a sponge filter that I put back into my canister after bleaching so I'm not really worried about losing the bacteria.

I think I'm having the problem with the filter keeping up because I have it stocked pretty high. It's 10+ fish versus the usual 1 or 2 I QT at a time normally. I might have to suck it up and just keep doing multiple water changes lol. Or buy a second sponge filter...

I think its because you're using a sponge filter. There's not a lot of throughput and turnover in the aquarium to process all that bioload. A powerfilter like an aqua clear would be great IMO. You can seed it with a sponge or established ceramic media, Or TSS. Once it's done with its QT duties, you can bleach it.. Then store the biomax and sponge in the main tank filter for it to get reestablished with BB. Or even let it run on the main tank for added flirtation. Just my 2 cents... Never been a real fan of sponge filters for anything other than a shrimp tank.

I have a few old hob filters in storage. I was actually going to run one in conjunction with the sponge since I new I was going to stock it heavy. I even got it setup but it was so dang noisy I broke it down lol. Maybe I'll pony up and buy an aqua clear for my QT. thanks again!

Just to add, I used seachem's stability for my current setup and it's been running for almost 3 months so far.

Well I think I read somewhere that Seachem Stability might work. But I know for sure TSS and Dr. Tim's One and Only do. Not only have I tried it personally, but I read up on the peer reviewed scientific journals that support its claim.

Autotrophic Nitrifying Bacteria and Their Practical Application in a Freshwater Aquarium
Dr. Tim Hovanec - The Free Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Encyclopedia Anyone Can Edit - The Aquarium Wiki
Scientific Papers

I don't think a lot of other claim-to-be BB-in-bottle products can support their claims in a scientific way.

Well I think I read somewhere that Seachem Stability might work. But I know for sure TSS and Dr. Tim's One and Only do. Not only have I tried it personally, but I read up on the peer reviewed scientific journals that support its claim.

Autotrophic Nitrifying Bacteria and Their Practical Application in a Freshwater Aquarium
Dr. Tim Hovanec - The Free Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Encyclopedia Anyone Can Edit - The Aquarium Wiki
Scientific Papers

I don't think a lot of other claim-to-be BB-in-bottle products can support their claims in a scientific way.

Wow, to a gamer that loves reading wiki's of video games this is great. I never knew something like this existed. Seems like a wealth of information on that aquarium wiki.

I stopped by petsmart today to check the price of SafeStart. They only had the giant bottle and the guy was going to give it to me for the price of the small bottle. I didn't end up getting it but assuming it works and had live bacteria in it, how long would it last opened?

I'm not sure... you should email Tetra about that?

Amazon has a good price on TSS... Amazon.com: Tetra 77962 SafeStart Treats, 70-Gallon, 250-ml, 8.45-Ounce: Pet Supplies

Wow that's like half the price than at Petsmart lol.

I decided to pass on the SafeStart this time around. I picked up a higher rated sponge filter from the LFS. I actually like the sponge material better on this new one so ill see how it goes. Seems like it works better too I can actually see particles getting drawn to it.

I'll definitely pick up SafeStart on amazon if I catch myself without seeded material based on that price lol.

BTW Brian. I was googling and I think one of the results was an old thread you started about getting an ID on tiny white worms in your substrate. Did you ever figure out what you had?

I believe they were detritus worms, also known as nematodes. They're harmless... just didn't like seeing them. I'm now dealing with some planaria in my shrimp tank. I'm treating with Fenbendazole right now.

Sounds like fun lol.

I recently saw some of the worms in my tank. I don't think I ever noticed them until I moved my danios and swapped out my light colored sand. Just wondering what you came up with since everyone seems to jump the gun and say they're planaria!

So in 24 hours after adding the second sponge I had a good nitrite spike. Guess the single sponge was underrated for the size on the box (plus my stocking lol). Glad to see its catching up rather quickly.

NOt sure if anyone suggested this or not, but take a small plastic container, fill it with gravel from your current tank, and run an airstone to the bottom of it. Make sure there is a hole in both the bottom and the top so water can flow through it. That way, the bacteria from your constant tank will have a good food supply, and you can keep things natural.

Back
Top Bottom