Bacteria Supplement and Live Bacteria Substitue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eatfood

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I want to know if bacteria supplement and live bacteria actually work to speed up the nitrate cycle. My tank is about 3 weeks old. I have added both bacteria supplement and dr.tims nitrifying bacteria and my ammonia has been at a constant .5ppm the past 2 weeks. The live nitrifying bacteria has only been in for about a week, but the bacteria supplement has been in since the beginning. My nitrate readings are coming up as zero, so I'm not sure exactly what is going on. Does anyone have any suggestions? Do these products actually work? And what is a tolerable ammonia level?

Sometimes they do, but I would say at least 90% of the time they do absolutely squat.

You should be looking at your nitrite and ammonia levels to come down rather than track your nitrates to see how your cycle is doing. The nitrate test also reads nitrites.

Also, be sure you follow the directions to the letter for the nitrate test. If done improperly, it will give a reading of 0.

Back
Top Bottom