Bacterial bloom?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well that uv steralizer should clear it up in a day or do, good luck and let us know!

I ordered it on Amazon, free two-day shipping. Also ordered a new test kit because I ran out of solution (was testing like crazy for awhile). I will keep you guys posted. Thanks again for your help!

So my fiancé took a water sample in to LFS today...was too impatient to wait on the kit I ordered. I held off on ordering the Green Killing Machine. The LFS manager said our water is perfect (as I expected from my own test results) - pH perfect, and perfect numbers of ammonia, nitrites, nitrates. He said he doesn't have a clue why the water is cloudy, especially after 4 days of no feeding and regular (but not too frequent) water changes. He also said it doesn't look like algae spores or an algae bloom.

Anyway, he recommended some chemical (I'll look at it when I get home for the name) and my fiancé just texted me these pictures (below). I am confused - what would be the cause of the cloudy water if the water is perfect and there's no algae? And is this chemical a short term solution?

Attachments

• image-2451164034.jpg
    image-2451164034.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 64
  • image-1818836480.jpg
    image-1818836480.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 60
Local fish stores can be notorious for wanting to sell water clarifying chemicals. Be careful.

Personally I wouldn't use it. Those products claim to make small particles stick together so your filter can catch them, which does nothing for the source of the problem. So if you didn't fix the problem to begin with, it will keep coming back and you will have to keep using that product.

Personally I wouldn't use it. Those products claim to make small particles stick together so your filter can catch them, which does nothing for the source of the problem. So if you didn't fix the problem to begin with, it will keep coming back and you will have to keep using that product.

Well it worked for now and I'm relieved to have clear water. I do understand what you're saying and agree, but I'm basically stumped - if my water parameters are perfect and it isn't algae and I'm not over feeding or over stocked and I have adequate filtration, then what else can I fix?

When I had a bacertia bloom and was losing fish, my local fish store said to do a 20% water change every other day. And don't feed the fish for a few days. When the water started getting better then feed the fish once a day and only a few flakes per fish. It took two weeks for the biological filter to get stronger and clear the water. But then the water became clear again. I learned not to remove too much good bacteria. That's what started the problem.

When I had a bacertia bloom and was losing fish, my local fish store said to do a 20% water change every other day. And don't feed the fish for a few days. When the water started getting better then feed the fish once a day and only a few flakes per fish. It took two weeks for the biological filter to get stronger and clear the water. But then the water became clear again. I learned not to remove too much good bacteria. That's what started the problem.

Thanks!! I am trying this!

Also if that chemical worked, make sure you clean your filters and rinse your sponges in old tank water becuase when that chemical starts to break down all those little particles that it helped stick together will start to come apart and leak back into the tank.

Also if that chemical worked, make sure you clean your filters and rinse your sponges in old tank water becuase when that chemical starts to break down all those little particles that it helped stick together will start to come apart and leak back into the tank.

Thanks! I will do this. We have the same name! :) I am Ashleigh Nicole.

Back
Top Bottom