Bacterial bloom, or something else?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oohitsae

Aquarium Advice Addict
I washed my filter pad under regular tap water a few days ago..I know it's a big no-no but I wasn't thinking straight after a really stressful week..
I also added co2 to my tank a couple days before the filter pad incident.
I also got some new plants in the day after I added co2 and stirred up some dirt, but it's never looked like this before when dirt gets stirred up.
I guess the day after I washed the pads I noticed that the tank water looked extremely cloudy, but the parameters are all still testing great.
I also started using Prime a little over a week ago, so I'm not sure if that could be the problem but it doesn't seem like it?
Ammonia:0
NitrITe:0
NitrATe:0
This is a heavily planted walstad method style 28 gallon bowfront that's been running for about a year, maybe longer. Up until now I've had no problems other than during cycling with the water, and water quality always tests good.

What could be the issue? What can clear it up the fastest? Should I just throw some water clarifier in, or wait it out?

Oh and if it matters, it's like the milky white color that comes out of the tap occasionally...

I want to do what's best for my plants and fish...but I also want this to clear up as fast as possible.

What I meant was, I figured with a mini-cycle I'd see my levels be a bit off, but I guess not.
I'll wait it out for a few more days, then it's off to purchase some clarifier! I hate seeing the tank like this

I have a dirted tank and if enough dirt is stirred up some of the ultra fine dust can take alittle time to filter out. I did this a few days ago and have the slightest haze. Now if you do a large WC and the water clouds back up it is indeed a mini-cycle. Honestly I just wait them out as it will eventually clear. I don't ever use any clairifying products as IMO they aren't good for your tank and often don't work.

Thanks for the reply rivercats!

I did do a 50% 2 days ago (I think) and it clouded right back up, so I guess it's definitely a Bloom...which is annoying! I can't believe I was stupid enough to wash the filter pad in tap water!

This tank is one of my main displays, anyone that comes to my house sees it off the bat, and I don't like the idea of them seeing the tank looking like this because I'm sure they'll think that it's something negative like dirty water, and I'd rather not present that whole deal to my customers (I work at home)

Honestly the quickest and most efficient way of ridding the tank of a B Bloom is using a UV filter. Many use a temporary filter such as the Green Killing Machine internal UV with powerhead and have had excellent results using it.

Back
Top Bottom