bactozym

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lionheart

Aquarium Advice Activist
this product actually works,
ive set up my second tank 6 days ago
with new equipment new filter new subscrate etc
well i added a few pinches of flake and 10mil of nutracycle + 2 capsules of bactozym
today day 6 i tested water parimeters with a API liquid master freshwater kit,
so we know the readings are accurate without any doubt,
water parimeters read as follows
amonia 0.5ppm nitrite 1ppm nitrate 10ppm ph 7.6
this shows me the tank is well under way to becoming fully mature i.e cycle nearly finished,

the product bactozym states to either place capsules in filter or let them dissolve naturally in tank water, i did the later! apparantly it provides ideal conditions for the growth and development of beneficial bacteria i.e NITRATE the increased development rate of beneficial bacteria enables your filter to work more efficiently and in a shorter time,

your water does get slightly cloudy after 24 hours of capsules dissolving obviously down to bacteria bloom but did clear within 3 days,

although i know bactozym as only made the conditions right for the bacteria to develope at a more increased level than usual,it as proved to myself that the nutracycle must also take credit,

i seen alot of posts on this site where people have said it is total waste of money and they dont believe it can possibly be any good as it as not been kept refrigerated,
all i can say is it as worked for me there is no other explaination for the cycle to of got too the stage it has,

i will be adding another 10 mil of nutracycle on day 7 and another bactozym capsule, i will do another water test around day 12 as im really hoping i will have cycle completed by day 14,

i would like to hear from anyone who as used bactozym with nutracycle or anyone who as cycled there tank as quickly without seeding it and the methods they used,
i am aware my tank is not yet fully cycled but the water readings would suggest it wont be too long,
anyway i thought i would share this expierience and hopefully other people can benefit from it.

You did seed it.
I have always said that the room temp products that claim to contain bacteria actually do, just not live active bacteria (I believe most contain concentrated spores)
It appears the bactozym was able to speed up the developement of that bacteria from the nutracycle. Much like scientist would use a petri dish to speed bacterial growth for study. It will be interesting to see more people publish their results with this product.

well as stated in the first post on this thread on day 7 i have added another BACTOZYM CAPSULE & ANOTHER DOSE OF NUTRACYCLE
i tested the water today day 8
readings were-AMMONIA 0.25 - NITRITE 1.0 - NITRATE 20 - PH 7.6
so a slight drop in AMMONIA, but NITRITE stayed same, yet the NITRATES were up 10, PH stayed stable at 7.6
would like to know why NITRITES stayed same yet NITRATES DOUBLED
SEEN AS THE AMMONIA DECREASED I WOULD OF EXPECTED THE NITRITE TO INCREASE.
DO YOU THINK A 10% W/C WILL HELP IN REMOVING THE LITTLE AMMONIA AND NITRITES OR SHOULD I JUST CONTINUE TESTING WATER EVERY FEW DAYS.

Keep testing.fishless cycle right? If you have fish in there you should change water to get below 0.5ppm to protect them.
Removing amonia or nitrite will slow your cycle.
It still has nitrite because there is not enough bacteria built up yet to convert it all.

i just tested my tap water for nitrate and found that it contains 10 ppm
could this have any bearing on results from my first water test,
even thou i added a dechlorinater to the tap water i put in tank,
i was thinking maybe it was natural NITRATE from tap in the first water test and not from the tank starting to cycle but since NITRATE as reached 20 ppm from my second test i assume cycling is definately under way

Your first test was reading your tap nitrates.

Until you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and over 10 (probably at least 20) nitrates (as you have 10 nitrates already), you aren't cycled. Note that ammonia and nitrite MUST be converting completely to nitrate; just 20 nitrate and 'low' ammonia/nitrite isn't enough.

Keep testing and waiting.

today tested ammonia 0ppm nitrite 5ppm nitrate 20ppm ph 7.6
how can i reduce the nitrite other than doing partial water-change ?
i'm assuming nitrite has risen cos it's consumed the ammonia but am i correct that nitrite is not going to reduce till nitrate becomes more established,

No,
Nitrite will reduce when the bateria that consumes it become more established. That bacteria produces nitrate as a biproduct.
Very high levels of nitrite or nitrate can stall the cycle. Your numbers are not high enough yet to do that.
Partial water changes are the best way to reduce nitrite.
I have measured a reduction in nitrite by adding Amquel Plus but it will only lower it about 1ppm.

Avoid Amquel plus while cycling as it will prolong the cycle.

What is your ammonia source and how often are you dosing?

Back
Top Bottom