Bad aquarium keeper?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Candi1990

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had aquariums for about 3 years now. I have a 55, 40, and 2 -30's.

I do regular water changes, change filters when needed, clean gravel, and clean sides of tank and rocks monthly. HOWEVER i dont check levels and all that. I bought an expensive kit, tried it, couldnt figure it out and gave up. Thats been about a year ago. Am i a bad fish mommy does everyone here check level? I can look and tell when there is something wrong with the tank.. A few times i had to take the water and get in checked. But for the last couple of years i haven't had any problems and havent had to. My fish keep breeding so i think the conditions are great. What are your thoughts?

Maybe not a bad fish keeper but we can always improve. You cannot tell ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels by looking at the tank. You may think everything is fine but I suspect you have just been lucky. An API freshwater master test kit cost around $18 to $20 or so on Amazon and gives you enough water tests for a few months or so. It may seem a little daunting at first but it really isn't. Fill the included test tubes with water, drop in the prescribed number of drops for each solution, shake, wait 5 minutes and check color with included chart. Easy. Fish can get used to certain conditions but new fish may die. Any part of having a pet is taking the best care of it you can and learning how to do more for the pet.

Nope. Once a tank is established I almost never check my water parameters unless I see something wrong, unusual or miss a water change.

Water Changes >>>>>>>> Water Testing

Maybe not a bad fish keeper but we can always improve. You cannot tell ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels by looking at the tank. You may think everything is fine but I suspect you have just been lucky. An API freshwater master test kit cost around $18 to $20 or so on Amazon and gives you enough water tests for a few months or so. It may seem a little daunting at first but it really isn't. Fill the included test tubes with water, drop in the prescribed number of drops for each solution, shake, wait 5 minutes and check color with included chart. Easy. Fish can get used to certain conditions but new fish may die. Any part of having a pet is taking the best care of it you can and learning how to do more for the pet.

Couple months? Try a year of light testing :)

I check my parameters about once a month on my fresh water tanks. I just don't get any errant readings so never really feel the need to worry about it.

I check mine at least a couple of times a week. Of course I make a lot of changes to my tanks and that sometimes throws things out of wack.

I have only tested my water about 5 times in the last 2 years. When a fish dies unexpectedly, or there seems to be something wrong with a fish. I accidentally drained about 95% of the water from my 65 a couple months ago and I wanted to make sure there wouldn't be a mini cycle so I check two days after the change. If you are keeping up in your water changes and you don't drastically change your stock then no testing is needed.

I only test mine if something looks wrong with my fish

Thanks everyone! I ordered the tester kit off amazon as someone suggested so if i feel i need to test it i will. I will probably test them when i get the kit, and if they test well, i will only test when i think something is wrong.

Thanks!

What is your water source? Just a guess on my part, as I have city water, but I'd wonder how consistent parameters are on well water.

Also, some fish species are more sensitive to problems. So while your current stock may be fine with things, if you are about to add something new, you might want to check things.

I have city water. And great advice! I will check before I add new fish, or move them around I do that from time to time.

SOOOOO I jinxed myself! Got the kit, levels are crazy! Even got a tank with sick fish!!! (That happened right before I got the kit).

My other three tanks levels are crazy but fish are fine. I think fish can adapt because this is just insane and I can't drive myself crazy trying to fix something that may not be broken AAUURRGGGHHH!!!!!

SOOOOO I jinxed myself! Got the kit, levels are crazy! Even got a tank with sick fish!!! (That happened right before I got the kit). My other three tanks levels are crazy but fish are fine. I think fish can adapt because this is just insane and I can't drive myself crazy trying to fix something that may not be broken AAUURRGGGHHH!!!!!
Numbers?!?

Ammonia .5 whatever the highest is. At least it was. That's what I think was killing my fish. Did a water change and filter change (think that was too much) and he ammonia went down and nitrite was way high.

ONE of the tanks was perfect.

The other two had low ph like 6.2 I think and .25 ammonia. Sorry don't remember the numbers but the colors!!! Lol

Well it looks like it time for some water changes! Question, with tanks of that age not being cycled are you using a dechlorinator for your water changes?
I test every week before my water change, anytime the tank goes cloudy, I have sick fish, or I add new fish. I test for:
Ammo-
Nitrite-
Nitrate-
pH-
Phosphate-
GH/KH-
Then I log everything. So I can track it. But I am super anal about my tanks, and plants.

I change water often.... Never check levels til now ( hate i started lol) and newer had a problem til now. I have had aquariums for about 4 years now! Time for some changes i see.

I change water often.... Never check levels til now ( hate i started lol) and newer had a problem til now. I have had aquariums for about 4 years now! Time for some changes i see.
not out of ridicule, curiously wondering if you use a water dechlorinator? Tetra? Prime?api?

Also I would check the parameters on your tap. You pH is really low. At 6.5 the bb begin to slow down the processing of waste, and at 6 they completely stop and begin dying. The only bonus to this is that the ammo is less toxic at that pH.

Candi, sounds like your best friend would be a Python water changing hose if you are doing WC's with buckets. Makes it SO much easier on the ol' bod. OS,

You are not a bad fish keeper, I don't check my levels either and my fish are fine. I haven't had any problems with them. Just keep doing water, and filter changes. But if you want to be safe, you should check the levels. ?

Candi, sounds like your best friend would be a Python water changing hose if you are doing WC's with buckets. Makes it SO much easier on the ol' bod. OS,

I bought one about a year ago. With 4 tanks toting buckets got old!!!! I would be lost without it.

Back
Top Bottom