Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Bad carbon?

I recently went through a chemical extravaganza with my tanks water and i'm worried that my carbon might be full of the different water treatments i used. i only added the treatments to my water i used for pwcs. i've since stopped using the ph product and stress zyme/cycle starter but still have to treat with amquel because source water is <1.0ppm Amm. If anybody has any thoughts, suggestions, experience please feel free. i'm leaning towards changing it any way but i'm cycling with fish and worried about losing any beneficial bacteria that may be in there.(if there are?)

Old 03-08-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Luna112
What are the water parameters, and what happened to the tank?

Sent from my iPhone

Old 03-09-2011, 12:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you think the carbon is exhausted, replace it. You may lose some beneficial bacteria, but you should have a population in your mechanical and biological medias.
Feel free to PM me directly with questions.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:10 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

There may be some bacteria on there but most would reside in your sponge/floss. I would replace it or ditch it completely. Many folks don't run carbon unless they are removing meds or tannins.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

agree...carbon (now I learned) is a waste of money (unless you are trying to remove meds/odor/color) because they are usually exhausted in a couple of weeks.

also may I suggest PRIME as a water conditioner..i love it and in the long run its cheaper.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

water parameters are >.50ppm amm 0ppm nitrite ph 6.8 amm has been spiking(yeah!) still neg on nitrite. temp 82 F. i will take the carbon off the uptake but what do i put in its place? i don't know what "sponge/floss" means...i just have an ugf with the carbon on the uptake and an hob that has a 2 week old filter pack in it. lfs doesn't carry prime, only amquel..
Old 03-09-2011, 01:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

HOB filters usually comes with a floss which is like a scrub thing (I cant think of a better word) and/or sponge. They should be inside the filter. I have an aquaclear HOB and I have 2 bags of those ceramic biomedia (grow bacteria on) and the sponge (catch any debris).
Old 03-09-2011, 01:59 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

what happened to the tank is simple... i got it and an api ph test, thats it. i was taking the water to the lfs and having it tested, always came back 0ppm...for nitrates!! by the time i got an api master kit the amm. was <8.0!!! did baseline testing and discovered source water is <1.0ppm amm. by itself!! so i flipped out and bought a buncha chemicals trying to bring the amm. down and the ph down. also got some stress zyme/cycle booster. after doing extensive research and culling from this site(yeah AA!!) found out that it was all unneccessary except the amquel in the source water, and went with more pwcs. lost a couple fish to amm. poisoning/stress and now that the stocking level has diminished and with the increased pwc schedule the tank is doing fine. i'd just hate for all that hard work and worry to be wiped out by some overloaded carbon...
Old 03-09-2011, 01:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

ok yeah i got that then

Tags
carbon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com