Bad Idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JaredMiklosovic

Aquarium Advice Regular
Would it be a bad idea to put an angelfish in my 35 gal tank that has a school of white skirts in it? I know that white skirt tetras are notorious for fin nipping, but in a school they get less nippy. So I need someone's opinion on this.

your concern is valid and true. if you really want these tetras with angelfish, then start a large shoal of them

do you already have fish in the tank? if so which ones? that way i will have a better idea of your stocking level

All I have is 2 white skirt tetras, a lamp eye tetra, who get along well. And then I have a kuhli loach but I plan on getting a couple more.

In a 30g tank it would be ify at best even if you upped your skirt to 6. I've kept angels and skirts before many times but always in larger tanks and usually with more than 6 skirts.

I'm thinking about getting rid of the skirts anyways, but how many angels could I get without exceeding space and what other fish are compatible with it?

1 angel only for a 30g. Compatible fish would be harlequin rasboras, threadfin rainbow fish, cardinal or rummynose tetra's, just to name a few. Cory cats for the lower levels work well also. Plus you could do a pair of Bolivian Rams or if the tank is at least 4-6 months old a pair of German Blue Rams.

1 angel only for a 30g. Compatible fish would be harlequin rasboras, threadfin rainbow fish, cardinal or rummynose tetra's, just to name a few. Cory cats for the lower levels work well also. Plus you could do a pair of Bolivian Rams or if the tank is at least 4-6 months old a pair of German Blue Rams.

How about killifish?

Some killi's work fine and others not. Golden Wonder Killi's tend to get larger and rather aggressive so you have to research the kind your interested in. I've kept Rachovii with angels BUT and this is a big but I have them in a 100% planted tank with the angels and my angels were raised with small fish. Still the females are quite small and could easily be killed and eaten.

They like planted tanks but they like to have some tall plants like an Amazon Sword. Otherwise they don't need anything special.

Just make sure you have at least one big, tall one. Something that would size up to a good sized Amazon Sword. I've found over the years that angels like to hang out in the big open leaves of swords.

Back
Top Bottom