Bad News

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well think of it this way... if you find out you are officially moving today, its not like you are literally moving tomorrow.

I'm sure you will have pleeeeeeeeeeenty of notice and time to pack and figure out what to do with your fish. You are going to give yourself an ulcer! It will be okay *pat pat*

To move a 29 gal tank (If memory serves me right, you have a 29 gal), you will need a 5 gal bucket for the sand/gravel, 2 ziplock bags for the filters, and that's about it. You can leave the heater and airstones still inside the tank, the hob sitting on it (empty of water of course), and the air pumps can just be packed in a box. If you will be moving the fish with you, you have 2 options:
1) Get bags from the lfs and a packet of air tabs (the air tabs if you are going to be moving several hours)
2) A rubbermade container and fill it about half way full with tank water and pop in your fish. When you get to your destination, hang the filter on the side of the container, turn on an air stone, pop in the heater (it won't melt the container, they need higher than 80 degrees to melt), and walah.

It's not really a big to-do. People move tanks all the time. To your fish it will be like another trip from the lfs. In regards to your sisters tank (I assume that it's already setup), do the same thing, only scale it down. You could probably get away with just leaving the gravel, decor, heater, air stones, and all that in the bottom of the 10 gal. Just be sure that the bottom is supported while walking with it. I have successfully moved my 10 gal tank several times this way. Just pack up the filter and you are ready to go. For her tank, you may want to try to preserve some water (about half will fit in a 5 gal bucket).

Back
Top Bottom