Bad News

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Hey guys, im trying not to make annoying posts, but this is dire, i might be moving and everything

we have no idea where, but how in god's name am i going to move my tanks?

any suggestions?

also i ont want to go into detail why i am moving

How far away are you going to be moving? Across town? Hundreds of miles?? If it's just across town, I'd move one tank at a time.

well thats the problem, i have no idea where we are going or even if it is gonna happen so when and if it does happen i want to know what i have to do

Hey Rudy, if you do a search in FW General Discussion you should be able to find some stuff. I think I saw a post about this a couple weeks ago. If you can't find enough info PM me. I have only moved a tank into another room, but you know, I have an idea of how it would be done.

Oh cool, I just found a link to an article by BillyZ.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=28

my advice is dont borrow trouble. wait and see if it is going to happen before you give yourself a panic attack

ok thanks, but i dont have that many rubbermaid butckets and i think it is really confusing on how all of that is supposed to work

also how can i keep a heater in a rubbermaid container wont it mels t=or something????

and wont the fish die? because there wont be any good bacteria if they are just in the container???

Your heater will not get hot enough to melt plastic, so you do not have to worry about the tubs. As far as number of tubs you don't really "need" that many. I have moved my tank to school and back maybe 4 times so far using only two 5 gallon buckets. On bucket holds the substrate, my biowheel, and ~5 gallons of water. The second bucket holds fish and also ~5 gallons of water. When I get to my destination I just run my HOB in the bucket for a few hours or so while I get the tank filled back up with treated water and up to temp.

Rudy- As mentioned before, don't worry about moving the tank unless you are sure that you're moving. And, you shouldn't have any problems unless you are moving hundreds of miles. During the moving process your fish will be perfectly fine unless they are going to be exposed to cold temperatures or extreme heat. Don't worry about bacteria.

Think about it logically. When fish are shipped to a lfs, they are bagged up and sent. Sure there are deaths, but they are also in bags for over 16 hours. They are bounced around in the back of a truck and can be exposed to alot of jiggling. When you move your fish, they won't encounter as much.

This topic has been discussed many times in this forum. With a little bit of searching you will find several step by step instructions on how to do it properly.

If you are moving just across town moving isn't all that hard. Even if you are moving 100's of miles... you will still be okay. You will have plenty of time to research and prepare

Just take a deep breath

yea but what if i move from oklahom lets say to costa rica? cause there are jobs there for my dad

then what?

Thn sell your stuff and start again. I moved 3000 kms recently... Packed up all the equipment for the move and sold my fish to the LFS. It was hard to do but I had to. Look in my picture gallery, I had to give up some awesome Discus and Angelfish.

Who was it who mentioned they smuggled their fish on a plane with a giant plastic coffee container??

if you move to Costa Rica you might have to do what mattrox suggested... just wait to find out where you are going before you stress out =o)

lyquidphyre said:
Who was it who mentioned they smuggled their fish on a plane with a giant plastic coffee container??

LOL 8O Rudy... do NOT do this! I can't imagine how many quarentine laws you would be violating by taking livestock across a national border in such a way. Again.. we don't even know if you are moving to begin with.. but IF you move, and IF it's into another country, take the adice from mattrox, sell the fish and start over. It will be MUCH easier and much cheaper, believe it or not. (you wont have to transport water, you wont have to file any paperwork for transporting animals and you wont have to worry about heating/cooling, airaiting etc.

ok if we do that is what i will do, and what about the filter emdia? can i get 2 1 gallon ziploc bags and overlap them fill it with tank water and put all my filter media in there?

would that keep it alive?

how long can the beneficial bacteria stay alive in non moving water cause it will not be able to pick up any nutrients or will it all die off and will i have to start the cycle again :?

You can put a piece of shrimp in the bag with the filters. But, you probably won't have to deal with this. Don't worry about it.

well i know, but i am trying to take the precaution because i think there is a higer chance that i will be moving, now only if i had any idea as to where we are going :?

Back
Top Bottom