Bad news today.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok. So I'm still stuck and unable to get home but I've been trying to figure out what happened. The water was warm the day before but the next day the heater wasn't on. My mom unplugged the power strip and plugged it back in and the heater came back on. I'm thinking the heater didn't come on when it should have and the temperature change shocked one or more fish causing them to die and sat in the tank all night decaying causing an ammonia spike killing everything else off.

I'm no expert in fish decay, but would that have caused such a lethal ammo spike so quickly. I would have thought a couple of dead fish would raise the ammonia level after a day or so and the other fish suffer as a result. what ever the cause was, it must have been sudden and devastating to kill all the fish in a day.
I do hope you find the answers when you get back home.
Steve.

What kind of heater and what kind of fish?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Which is why I asked about the brand. Normally those are top of the line heaters.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That is my luck. I have two 300w heaters on my 125 and they do great. I guess I just got a bad heater. All part of fish keeping I guess.

Im going to get two more heaters for the 55 and continue to do water changes. Once the water is back to normal I will start the restocking.

2014 just started so this isn't going to ruin my year. Still plenty of good to come.

Back
Top Bottom