Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-23-2004, 08:34 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Badis badis (Part II)

Okay, okay, I broke down and bought some more. I chronicled my last horrendous experience with these little guys and a cruddy LFS in the thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...ht=badis+badis .

Well, it has been a month and I went back to that LFS since my fav LFS guy could not get them in for me (no, I have no patience ). The number of Badis were definitely less and some still had white spots and a couple looked rather thin. I told the lady that I was going to be extremely picky about which ones I took home and I was. I had her pull a fish and then I took it out to the main area where the light is better to fully inspect each fish. I took three home and they are now in the 2.5 gal QT tank with natural driftwood and a filter with media from an established tank. I am not looking for another disaster, but my one Badis looks so lonely in the ten gal hex *sigh*.

In other news, I also saw striped Khuli loaches and I couldn't help myself~I bought six. I have been looking for them since I bought two over a year ago!!! The Khulis are currently in the 5 gal QT tank with a lone hybrid cichlid fry (I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that one). The Khulis will eventually live in the 50 gal community tank.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 09:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Endgame319
It would be to good idea to put some salt in the water just in case some parasites came with them. Not sure on the dosage

Old 04-23-2004, 09:34 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

It turned out the prob wasn't parasitic, but fungal. I am just going to watch them for now.

Old 04-23-2004, 11:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to webmoose
wow very daring.. I was good and didn't go back there after my fungal swords.. Best of luck to you! I hope it works out this time.... Keep us posted

8 Gallon hex - 3 F1 Black Brichardi and fry..("Lamprologus sp. Walter")

10 gallon work tank - Pair of dwarf gourami and 2 cherry barbs / 2 gallon - 4 Fundulopanchax gardneri / 10 gallon - bunch of killitanks

Vote Here for Aquarium Advice
webmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 01:13 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

So far, so good. The Badis ate frozen brine shrimp this evening and I have some BBS hatching--just in case they wouldn't eat live food. I am keeping my fingers crossed. I know they will be in QT for over a month. I will be away for two weeks in May during the time they could be put in the main tank. To make things easier for whomever watches the animals, I will leave the Badis in QT.
BTW Moose, I want another small pleco, but I will go back to my fav LFS next week!

Old 05-04-2004, 10:43 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to webmoose
SO are they ready to come out of QT? I went and saw those guys after you bought them and I think they are lucky you got them otherwise they probably wouldn't have had much of a chance with out extra care and attention.

8 Gallon hex - 3 F1 Black Brichardi and fry..("Lamprologus sp. Walter")

10 gallon work tank - Pair of dwarf gourami and 2 cherry barbs / 2 gallon - 4 Fundulopanchax gardneri / 10 gallon - bunch of killitanks

Vote Here for Aquarium Advice
webmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 11:58 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

They are still in QT and showing a great zest for life! They love their frozen foods and act normally. I'm not sure when I will add them to the main tank. I am going to be away for 2 weeks and I am still undecided how well the person watching my animals is going to react to changing the water in the 2.5 gal I have time to think about it.

Old 05-04-2004, 09:41 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Menagerie...

I've been following your Badis badis saga with great interest. One of my favorite local shops just got in a shipment which included about 20 Badis assamensis and I'm REALLY tempted to get a trio. I've kept Badis badis in the past with some success but this is the first time I've seen B. assamensis.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:56 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I just googled them--too cute! Get them, post pics and let me live vicariously through you

Old 05-07-2004, 02:36 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I was going to wait and add my new arrivals after I get back from an upcoming trip, but I actually think it will be safer to add them this weekend and I can watch everyone this week. Plus, the evaporation rate in Calgary is a killer I want my critter sitter to have minimal maintenance work as possible. Plus all my fish are looking healthy and eating VERY well. I am so happy with my new fish!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com