bait for snail trap?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dudeofrude

Aquarium Advice Addict
I followed instructions from a previous thread about making a pond snail trap for my tank. Before going out and buying pellets I was just wondering if there is anything else I can put in there as bait. I was thinking something like cucumber or maybe lettuce? Any ideas?

My snails went for romaine more than iceberg lettuce. Just my experience

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

lettuce, cucumber, zucchini.. I've used all of those and they all work perfectly well. :) Good luck!

Ok thanks guys, only had cucumber in the fridge so I've tried that first, will get some lettuce tomoz. The cucumber has floated to the top of the tub, I'm assuming that dosent matter? Where do ya live emi? How would I even send them? Lol

I used one of those handy little clips to sink my cucumbers to the bottom. You can also blanch them and that will help them sink and soften them up a bit. They'll crawl all over it if you put it in at night and take it out in the morning.

Didn't work well.... only caught 2 lol I counted 24 on the back of the tank last night but none of them went for it. Any ideas?

Ok this is takin the mick now. I put lettuce in it last night and this morning........ nothing! Not a single snail! They ate all just stuck to the glass, filter etc is there summin I'm missing?

Pop the lettuce in and turn the lights off on your tank go back 1-2 hours later and it will be covered if u leave it to long they will eat it all and move on . :) hope it's helps x

Why bother with the trap? Just sink the piece of lettuce, turn off the lights for a few hours, and it'll have the same, if not better effect then the trap!

Ok I'm sick of this now but nothing is working! The snails aren't interested in anything I put in there? There's that many they blocked up my spray-bar last night!!

I can get them from my lfs but I don't want any snails atall. Would a clown loach work just as well coz id prefer one of them as long as it will leave my other fish/fry alone?

Back
Top Bottom