Bala Behaviour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anttna

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My bala shark is perfectly happy minding his own business, but has this perculiar behaviour of pointing his "nose" to the glass and dancing around in circles. Is he chasing his own reflection?? Is it normal, none of my other fish do it.

I'm not sure. It may be due to being in such a small tank. You do know bala sharks on average reach at least 7-8inches in captivity, and can with correct tank requirements reach over 14 inches?

I have a channel cat in qt and he sometimes does that all night. I posted about this at PC and they said that cats will often do this when they are exploring a new tank, not sure if that is your situation or not.

My balas were all around 11" in my 45 gallon, and that was way too small for them, but this was before I was concerned with such matters (I was young). They all lived for about 7 years, but kept knocking the plastic AGA lid off the top and hardwood floor diving. Did one of them in eventually and the others probably died of stress from too small of an enclosure.

I have a theory going [ unsubstantiated ] that Bala's are attracted to electromagnetic waves.

Because My bala dances like mad on the side of the tank that my monitor [ which generates said radiation ] is.

When I moved my desk and monitor to a new location in the room, the Bala switched to the other wall and started being spastic on the wall towrads my monitor again.

Just my theory :\

Back
Top Bottom