Bala info needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vaquero

Aquarium Advice Freak
Do you know why my balas stay in one part of the tank and just seem to stare out of the tank?? I think they are looking at their reflection or something? How fast will these grow, and when fed once a day or twice a day?? Are they eating my bottom fish (striped rafaels) wafers? They seem to go real quick.

If your balas are small and in a small group like less than three, they could just be a little frightened. Balas are a very skittish, fast swimmers, jumpers, and very active once they get use to their home and/or in larger groups. They can grow up to or well over a foot long in a year or year and a half depending on conditions. I don't know what size tank you have but anything under a hundred gallons just isn't enough for them if your planing on keeping them long term. Yes they do eat wafers, they're not picky eaters so almost anything you give them is a go.
How long and how many do you have?
Do you have other bigger fish?

for right now i have a 55 gal with 5 balas, 5 albino tiger barbs, 3 silver dollars and 2 striped Rafael catfish

Balas are about 2" silver dollars 1 1/2 and tiger barbs 1 1/4" rafaels are 4"

You will need to Upgrade in about one year or rehome the Balas.

Back
Top Bottom