bala shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Criptos

Aquarium Advice Activist
2 Sterbas Cory cat
5 zebra danios
1 Gypsy King Tiger Pleco or similar pleco
3 Neon Blue Dwarf Gouramis

If i got a bala Shark with those, would the tank be big enough for the Bala

I'am not certain I want one just checking out my options before I stock my tank.

well i'm happy you said 55 and not 5...lol, yeah he will grow extremely large and all of your fish will fit easily into his mouth :( but you could buy a 150gal for him and he would be very happy :D

oh man, oh well maybe sometime in the future. This is my first tank. (15 yrs old) don't really have the money to go buy another tank 3 times the size and the gravel and what not. Besides no more room in my room.

It looks like you have plenty of cats and scavengers.. why not get cockatoo cichlids, angel fish, bolivian rams, or some golden rams?

Are you interested in getting a couple schools of fish or a few larger fish? You could get a couple schools of fish to complete the tank.

I WOULD HAV TO DISAGREE WITH WHAT MOST OF YOU ARE SAYING I HAVE 3 GOOD SIZED BALA SHARKS ALONG WITH SEVERAL OTHER FISHES IN A 30 GALLON AND SOME ARE SMALLER THAN THE BALAS BUT EVERYONE IN THE TANK IS DOING PERFECTLY FINE AND THEY DON'T SEEM TO TAKE UP MUCH ROO. I HAVE HAD THE TANKL FOR ABOUT A year now. THE FISH WILL ONLY GROW TO THE SIZE THAT THE TANK ALLOWS IT TO GROW . THE 55 GALLON THAT YOU HAVE WILL BE A GOOD HOME FOR THE BALA SHARK AND THE OTHER FISH WILL ALSO BE OK

Don't fish become deformed from not having the proper size tank? Ie: A bala shark in a 10 gal tank will conform it's body to accomidate the size of the tank. It's not exactly healthy for them. I remember reading a thread regarding this.

Bala sharks will get way too big. They will not have adequate room to turn around in a smaller tank size. Sure you could stuff them in a small tank, but they won't be happy and they have a shorter life span than if they were to be in a 150 gal tank where they will be able to turn around and "stretch" their fins.

Well I have had a list of the fish i was going to get and before I posted in here I took a few away from the list to see if i could make room for a Bala, but alas this is the original.

1-3 Sterbas Cory cat
7-10 zebra danios
7-10 Splashing Tetras
3-5 Neon Blue Dwarf Gouramis

hey greenmagi I'LL USE CAPS IF I WANT TO ALRIGHT. n-e-ways my balas are not all cramped up they are just fine but you could do what you want Criptos it's your tank and fishkeeping is a lot of trial and error but my experience with this fish has been very good

unfamous, chill out :wink:. Greenmagi wasn't attacking you. Anyway, the point about fish being in a much too small tank is that you can do it, but don't expect your fish to thrive and be healthy. They will also have a MUCH shorter lifespan most likely from disease because they are stressed by the tank conditions.

As for fishkeeping being trial and error, sure it is. But people come to sites like this one to prevent that error and the death of their fish because they actually have some sort of care for their well being.

end rant. :roll: :mrgreen:

basically i like your second list better or the original....that seems perfect for that tank and great fish which are compatible, good luck! i would die to get a 55 :D

1-3 Sterbas Cory cat
7-10 zebra danios
7-10 Splashing Tetras
3-5 Neon Blue Dwarf Gouramis

I think you should go between 3-7 cory cats, they are happiest in larger groups and although that might put you over, I think you will be just fine. Only don't forget your weekly water changes :wink:

The second list is much better. I'd nix the Bala's. But as Ruby said, increase the number of Cory's.

Back
Top Bottom