Bala Shark Bails Out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The HTR

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I decided to experiment recently to see if I could temporarily house a small (3inch) Bala shark in a 20 gallon with 3 tiger barbs and 2 giant danios until a larger tank was possible. What occurred was a systematic and cruel bullying of the bala shark by the danios and barbs and tonight I found the poor fish on the floor in front of the aquarium dried up like a freeze-dried food product.

So, apparently, the poor fish couldn't take the harassment anymore and committed suicide by leaping through the opening next to the filter. I suppose the lesson has been learned.

Jeeze thats terrible. Never did see/hear about a fish commiting suicide. This sure is a first for me lol. Sorry bout the bala though :/

they are schooling fish that get over a foot. many fish jump more so active fish in small tanks.

Balas are a real skittish fish, in fact all sharks are jumpers to a point. I lost a nice red tail shark when I was starting out, because of a small opening. This shark was king of the tank ;) and it still jumped out. I have 2 6 inch balas in my 120, this tank is in my home office. It doesn't bother them when I come in but if the wife or kid comes in they head for the back of the tank. When I got them, they where about 2.5 inches and I had one of them jump out of the container at the fish store when we was bagging them up. I had to catch him before he got on the floor. :)

I used to keep bala sharks, and all three of them committed suicide... I had my tank by the bar and I came home one day and they were all laying in the sink dried up!
Sad.

i was just recently acclimating my flying fox to put into another tank. i had him in a 3gallon bucket doing a drip. well he decided to fly and went right out of the bucket. the water level was at least 2.5 inches below the rim. i came back to it later and couldnt find him anywhere and thought maybe one of the dogs decided to have a snack. i finally did find him 3 ft away behind a box and in a ball of fuzz/fur. i got him in the tank just long enough for him to take a few last breaths.

Back
Top Bottom