Bala shark compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moore93

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I've just purchased
2 x balas 7" and 4"
1 clown loach 3"
1 red tailed shark 5"

For £12
All from the same tank (clown loach was alone in previous tank but going to get him so friends from the lfs.)

I was just wondering if the balas would be ok with fully grown neon tetras as girlfriend threatened to flush them if the ate them.

Also the red tail shark seem to be harassing my bgk will this carry on or will it get bored and leave him alone?

You need like....250gallons minimum for those fish. What size tank is it? What is the exact stocking of this tank?

I just hit subscribe like three seconds ago & waited for the inevitable....
So glad there are so many knowledgable members on here :).

Preachin' to the choir, brother. This site is the only reason I have 3 successful tanks.

It's a 6 ft 60 gal tank I no it not ideal. I am currently saving for a 6ftx3ftx2ft main tank.

6 silver tips
4 neons
2 mollies
Bgk
Kuhli loach
Amano shrimp

The Bala's need a huge tank when mature. They grow to around 36" long, and have a hefty girth also.
They will eat everything presently in your tank.
Also clown loaches do better in groups of at least 4.

Aaaaalllllrrrrriiiggghhtyyyy then! You have serious stocking problems. Silver tip cats, bala sharks, and clown loaches can all grow over a foot long. Neons should be in schools of 5 or more, and that Amano shrimp has no chance of surviving.

This is a 6 foot tank than is 60 gallons?

Would you recommend taking the balas to the lfs and getting some more loaches. I was wanting to get 5 more loaches but thought that was to much for the tank with there potential size.

Unless you plan on getting a really big tank then I wouldn't get the clowns either. They take a while to get big, so you would have time.

I'm having a hard time keeping up with my thoughts here. Sorry for all the posts!

Yes I would get rid of all the balas.

Sorry this is over two tanks the balas and the red tailed are in my 150l tank had to move the knife fish because he was getting to stressed and wouldn't come out and eat.

Yeah that's my plan to get a much bigge tank I was origanlly only get the sharks but I thought it was cruel the loach on it own

Your are right about the loaches. They should be in groups of at least 5. For 2 bala you would need at least a 350 gallon tank for them to be properly housed for the long term. Just for the 5 clowns you would want a 250g tank. That's a ton of tankage. You should really figure out what you like the most, research them, and then plan accordingly. Also, the knife fish has the right to be stressed, piling all those fish in a 60g tank.

It's a 6 ft 60 gal tank I no it not ideal. I am currently saving for a 6ftx3ftx2ft main tank.

6 silver tips
4 neons
2 mollies
Bgk
Kuhli loach
Amano shrimp

Is that a lot for a 60gal?

Also is a eheim type 2036-510 external filter and a fluval u4 too much filtration?

I know I probably asking a lot of obvious question but I'm wanting to make sure my fish are as happy and stress free as possible.

That filtration is fine. Silver tips grow at least 8" and would have heavy bioloads at that point. Also, the shrimp will eventually be eaten. Kuhli loaches and tetras should be in larger schools. Some says 5 minimum but I think 8 for those guys would be better. The knife fish also grow very large, about 1 foot and maybe more and will eat the tetras and kuhli if it catches them. But the silver tips and knife fish would die from stunted growth. You REALLY need to do research on your fish, and choose them AFTER researching. If you want your fish to be happy and stress free you need complete restocking.

I can't believe I could be this wrong about it all I'm devastated :(
I was originally getting advice from my lfs but I think he was just talking me into a sale

Moore93.....please don t be devastated. Everyone has to start somewhere, just keep researching & fast forward a few months & you ll be so glad you made these hard choices now. It does get better :)

Back
Top Bottom