Bala shark losing color when light is turned on

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmoenck

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 2 bala sharks and when i turn on the light one of them looses its color and almost become completely albino looking. What is going on?

I tried getting a picture but its hard to get a decent one with no flash. He is acting completely normal just looses color when i turn the light on.

Hmm, I don't have any experience with sharks..
But this can happen to shrimp and other creatures are able to change colour -
How long ago did you get the sharks? Because what may be the case is that your shark gets nervous when the lights are on because it thinks its exposed. When some animals become nervous they loose their coloration - it's why a healthy happy cherry shrimp will most likely be a deep red colour than one with little coloration. If the sharks are new they may just need time to adjust to their new home. But don't hold me to that because Im not sure if sharks act in that way. It may just be a little light sensitive
- Good luck anyway :)

I got them from my brother in july of last year. Its really weird because he just started doing this the past couple months and the other one seems to be fine. Its so odd. I just dont want to hurt him in any way but i try to have the light on a few hours a day! Thanks for the thoughts!!

Im not sure, it's strange as its only just started happening.
Prerhaps you could let some natural light through instead of the aquarium light - open a window if you have one near - it won't be as bright and you could try to gradually introduce him to light again. You could always ask at your fish store or try a site specifically for sharks. I hope all goes well for you :)

Im not sure, it's strange as its only just started happening.
Prerhaps you could let some natural light through instead of the aquarium light - open a window if you have one near - it won't be as bright and you could try to gradually introduce him to light again. You could always ask at your fish store or try a site specifically for sharks. I hope all goes well for you :)

What colour is your substrate.

Meaning my sand/gravel? I have a light brown/tan sand. The normal color :)

Meaning my sand/gravel? I have a light brown/tan sand. The normal color :)

Okay don't quote me on this later but I have a theory that certain fish try to match their colour to the substrate in order to somewhat camouflage themselves. For example light colored substrate light fish dark substrate dark fish. And when the lights turn off its dark so they get darker. And so on when the lights come on. I have light colored gravel in my 55 and when the lights have been on all day my rainbows and leopard gourami are much duller than when the lights come on in the morning.

Okay don't quote me on this later but I have a theory that certain fish try to match their colour to the substrate in order to somewhat camouflage themselves. For example light colored substrate light fish dark substrate dark fish. And when the lights turn off its dark so they get darker. And so on when the lights come on. I have light colored gravel in my 55 and when the lights have been on all day my rainbows and leopard gourami are much duller than when the lights come on in the morning.

This has been partially supported by clown loaches at least I believe.

Back
Top Bottom