Bala Sharks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pamelarowley57

Aquarium Advice Regular
Planning to put three Bala Sharks in 125 gal tank. I have other fish already so I don't really want more than three because of their size. AqAdvisor suggests 5 minimum.....

Is 3 company?

Bala sharks don't always hang out together and don't really need companions. Especially when they get bigger they do there own thing. They do get along with each other pretty much so keeping more then one is easy. I had 5 big 12"+ But 4 had died over time and only have one now.

They do like schools, but in my opinion will probably do ok with 3. I wanted a nice school of 6-8 cories, but the stock around here doesn't seem too healthy. I have 4 now doing well.

I had only one before and he died...:(

I do believe that it had more to do with poor water conditions. I had a small tank, too many fish and a lack of cleaning supplies......(no gravel vacuum.) I knew I needed to do something with the tank...pronto. Woke up the next morning and he was gone....so sad.

However, he also seemed really lonely by himself and liked to look at himself in the mirror or the tank glass (he was very vain) He was entertaining and I'm sorry I lost him. Don't want that to happen again. I have three and they seem happy so far, but any tips from people who have them would help!

Thanks!
Pam

I had 3 in a 150 and they always swam together. One end of the tank to the other. Nonstop.

What other fish are in there?

Although it's not ideal, it's better than nothing. I have seen a few people around occassionally that keep 3 bala sharks together successfully.

I had a rainbow shark and two 12 inch clown loaches and a monster pleco.

I've got five that are two inches in size in a 150 gal. They school around the tank together. They have a laid back twitch that's pretty cool. Sometimes they brake off by themselves but are definitely mellow.

I had an alpha gourami that decided to chase one of my Bali's once. Couldn't even get close to him. Amazing how fast they are.

I don't personally think there's much difference between having three or five. I had two and then added three more. They seemed to act the same.

As they get bigger, that pop that they do with their mouth, will pop holes in fish. You will know what I'm talking about if you have seen large bala's.

Back
Top Bottom