Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-25-2011, 02:04 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm the one who's in charge of the tank, but it's all based on a school budget, so they limit what I can buy and how much I can spend.

I do care about these fish, I took over the tank because the old care takers of the tank didn't change the filters for months and months to the point of the whole tank turning jet black and the filter cartridges were bulging out from out dirty and full they were. They killed every single fish that used to be in that tank but one that was laying on it's side trying to live. So I pulled that one out and tried to take care of it and nurse it back to health but it had been through too much and died a few days later. The old care takers said they were going through too much in their life so that was their excuse for neglecting the tank. Those fish really suffered, the tank was so bad that the heater broke, filter was shot, the decorations were falling apart, the gravel had to be thrown away.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:08 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I can't imagine having a budget with fish tanks. You never know what's going to happen.

I guess you'd have to put your own money into keeping this tank healthy, if that is your choice.

Personally, I've never been a big advocate of fish tanks at schools. Somehow, it always turns into a case of animal abuse.

75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:15 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'd never abuse the fish, I love animals. That's why I took over the tank, the ole care takers were abusing them by how they took care of them.

That's why I'm thinking about bringing the fish home and keeping them here and just getting something else for the school. I know that they won't buy a generator for this coming winter when the power goes out. They didn't even alert me when the power was out for 6 HOURS. All these problems occurred after the power went out for hours.

I've already been putting my own money into the fish because it's on a budget, the budget was only $200 to start the tank back up, that included buying food, fish, chemicals, brand new filter, cartridges, heater, etc. I'm not going to let the fish suffer just because they're on a budget. There should never be a budget on an animals life. I hate living in a small town that doesn't have anything, I want to find driftwood, I need to find driftwood, but yet noone has it.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:24 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can get driftwood at a billion on-line resources. Fosters & Smith Aquatics and many others. Probably ebay.

I'm not saying "you" are abusing the fish. I'm just saying, in general, every time someone writes about a tank at a school, it's about how poorly kept that tank is. This is not your fault.

Take the tank home. Fix it up. Enjoy your new fish.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
Old 10-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Here's an old picture of my lil plecos.

I'm going to end up bringing the fish home, but I have to go buy myself a bigger tank, I can't take their tank.

I've seen it online, just wasn't too sure about buying it online and how safe it'd be.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:15 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I love plecos, they're so cute! In a weird sorta way.

I wanted to ask, if you don't mind, what exactly is the purpose of having a fish tank at a school? Is it for a certain class or lesson?
Old 10-26-2011, 03:29 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

I love plecos too, I think they're the cutest things and have such personalities. I had one pleco in the past (was so small from the pet store it didn't survive long) and it would swim up to the top to eat with the fish and would raise it's back fin everytime you walked to the tank and enjoyed you "petting" him. He was the most outgoing little guy, I wish he wouldn't of been so weak when I got him and wish he'd of stood a chance.

It's a tank for display and decoration only. It's in the main hallway right off of the lobby, the kids are only allowed to walk by and look at the fish. I have the top of the hoods taped down so that kids can't mess with the fish and I can tell if the tape has been messed with. The kids really enjoy looking at them.

My little pleco I wrote about passed away last night. He got worse in just a few hours time. He went from a tiny spot of pale (no color at all) and scales missing..and in just a few hours scales were gone on almost his whole body, he had a HOLE in his back fin, his little side fins were just rotting away and his beautiful sailfin he used to have was almost rotted completely away. I feel so sorry for the little guy.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:40 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm very sorry that you lost him.

Tags
pleco

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com