Balloon Molly help !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarcosDiaz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have recently purchased a 10 gallon tank and 7 balloon mollies. I'll admit that I did not know anything about "cycling" a tank but all levels are under control ( I have test strips and I'm waiting for API master kit to come in mail) none of my fish have died yet. I do 15% water changes every other day and have two filters, I also added tetra safestart on two separate occasions. I will be moving them next month to a 30 Gallon tank. Right now I have 1 live plant which I regretfully do not know the name of and a few plastic ones. They mollies are in there with 2 snails 2 whisker shrimp and a very small common pleco (giving him to a friend with large tank) I have two aggressive dalmation female that terrorizes and chases every other molly. Is this common behavior ? I also have one male balloon molly that is showing no interest in breeding.. Is something wrong? He seems fearful of the aggressive females.

P.S. I know that balloon mollies are born with a defect and I shouldn't buy them but I didn't know this at the time and now I am obsessed with them.

Hi, congrats on the purchase. I have common black mollies and have noted two of the larger females don't take any crap, including from the loaches. They get along pretty well though and don't chase each other. I'd say the number of fish gives a good school but perhaps it is tight tank space and/or lack of hiding places. The males are generally pretty keen (I assume he is fine to go), perhaps as it is a new tank everything is still settling in. If the tank is still maturing, then that may also not be helping.

Thank you guys ! Everything seems to be going well now. I'm currently raising 4 baby fry. I'm pretty sure most babies have gotten eaten :( they're separated and safe lol. Still waiting to move them to the 30 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom