Bam & Boo"a shrimp storie"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

onah

Aquarium Advice Freak
i recently stopped in at m y local petco and found something i couldnt resist buying,BAMBOO shrimp(or wood which ever u perfer)! i quickly bought 2 and rushed hiome in the process of accimaltion i realized one was caring some eggs i think! i would like to raise the babies if its not to hard some one let me know what i have to do! these guys are really cool looking.

Bam
img_717637_0_fb9a65b2dfe9ab179ced0389e856fe64.jpg

Boo
img_717637_1_f91d7d820eb3788c6b1e2a6dde982a60.jpg

also the one with the eggs is missing a part of her back right leg i dont know how or why, i belive she came like this to petco(not sure), will it grow back?

it should come back the next moult i think..
im not sure about the eggs, but most shrimp grow up in brackish water (?)

Cool man, I think those are the same species as what my LFS calls "flower shrimp". If so, they are really awesome and turn red when they settle in to the tank. Unfortunately, mine died for unknown reasons.

Good find, and good luck with them!

I'm thinking about getting some of these guys so I'd like to know how it goes for you.

I thought your thread title was cute, btw. Made me laugh. And I really like that second pic.

The one thing I would say about these (mine is a cameroon fan shrimp, but looks identical) is that they are rarely seen. When they are, yes they look awesome.
BUT.. Mine has been hiding behind the filter pipes for the best part of 3 months now and only comes out at night.
Ive got a 6ft x 2ft x2ft community tank, no fish bigger than 4 cm at the moment.

I thinks it's all up to the shrimp. I had 3 in my 46g that only came out at night. I had 2 in my 25g goldfish and saw them a lot. (3-4" goldfish) I had 1 in a 10 g and saw that one alll the time... Got worried when I didn't see her.

quite the contrary Bam has been out infront all night and now so far day! Boo hasnt come out as much though but your right as soon as the light went out she was out and about. yea the more i read the more i see SW in the equation and i dont know if i could accomidate it, but i think i am going to start a nano tank, and see how that goes, how long till she pops?they arent red anymore the have already turned a dark green color...

img_717851_0_838a3b4d5cd0fddf6cc10521e39405e2.jpg

Their colors will change according to the environment. Mine are usually a brownish red, with a white stripe down their back. My bigger one just Molted either last night or this morning. These will not eat their molted shell, either fish them out or let other creatures have at it :)

At night they turn more red, im curious to see what happens once i get my lunar lights installed.

-Pleco

I think I'm going to buy some more too. I have to get big ones or my pictus will gobble them up. I just bought some danios that didn't last a day.

Mine will swim all the way to the top before they molt. The first time one did that I thought it was dying. After mine molts it turns really red and you can tell she looks soft.

The barbs don't bother them.

Back
Top Bottom