Bamboo shrimp community tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buu

Aquarium Advice Freak
Today I saw some bamboo shrimp at LFS. They are too cute. They said they get about 4 inches! My questions are how many would you need for them to be happy and would they be okay (not eaten!) if the biggest fish I would have are honey gouramis? My tank is 30gallons and planted. So far only have Khulis. And would definitely make him (or them! If need more) a perch near the filter current.

Sorry dude the loaches will eat your shrimp up like candy :(
This is just not true. Not for everyone at least. Especially with larger shrimp like bamboo shrimp. I have amano shrimp and bamboo shrimp in my community tank and have had cherry shrimp too(moved to a different tank) with clown loaches, zebra loaches, polka dot loaches, and kuhli loaches, not a single one of them have ever paid any mind to any of my shrimp, nevermind ate them like candy.

OP I think bamboo shrimp are a wonderful addition to a community tank, though some people have difficulty keeping them at first because they are all wild caught. I never had this issue but have read several accounts of this while I was researching them before my purchase. You can keep them in groups or keep one of them, although having at least 2 or 3 would probably allow you to see them more often and they are more interesting. Be sure to give them plenty of hiding spots, they like a dark place to rest and to get away from bright lights

Today I saw some bamboo shrimp at LFS. They are too cute. They said they get about 4 inches! My questions are how many would you need for them to be happy and would they be okay (not eaten!) if the biggest fish I would have are honey gouramis? My tank is 30gallons and planted. So far only have Khulis. And would definitely make him (or them! If need more) a perch near the filter current.

Bamboo shrimp are cool looking shrimp. As mentioned by Zimmanski since they get bigger (considerably) than other shrimp, they are usually left alone by fish. In my tank, none of my barbs give them a second glance.

The important thing is to have an established filter that will have colonies of microbes Bamboo shrimp feed off from the output. HOWEVER, that also means that while they are cool looking shrimp, they can also become rather boring:blink:. If they find that perfect spot, they'll tend to stay there day after day after day fanning the output. At least mine are in full view and not hiding.:dance:

I think I'll get 2 and try it! Hmmm I just upgraded (bit over a week ago) but am running my old filter media with new one. Should I wait longer?

They're adorable! They could just sit there and look pretty all day hehe. What are y'all's perched on? I'm thinking of going out and looking for some nice tall drift wood. Cover it with plants.

Oh also how long have y'all's been alive? I keep reading online how some only live a year or less! And would t want to buy them if I think they'll die so quickly.

I think bamboos are a great addition. I love mine. Yes, they hang out at certain spots for better water flow to filter, but just watching them with all their fans out and then eating off of them is very cool.

Khulis won't bother them, especially since most you get are at least 2 inches. Gouramis are always questionable. You never know the fish's personality. That can be said for most fish.

Loaches will not eat shrimp. But bamboo shrimp NEED to have a spot with a good current. If they are moving around on the bottom that means they aren't getting enough food from the current.

I think I'll get 2 and try it! Hmmm I just upgraded (bit over a week ago) but am running my old filter media with new one. Should I wait longer?

They're adorable! They could just sit there and look pretty all day hehe. What are y'all's perched on? I'm thinking of going out and looking for some nice tall drift wood. Cover it with plants.

With old filter media your good to go. You can also supplement their food with finely crushed flakes or algae wafers ... at least that's what I've read other do.
I've never purposely feed my Bamboo, I just feed the fish and let nature do the rest. Happy Bamboo shrimp should just fan the output constantly. If after a few days (they explore new tanks and sift around) you still see them sifting the substrate, it means they are going hungry ... not enough microbes or insufficient flow in the water.

As for what you can use for them to perch on, just make it high enough to reach the output, they'll do the rest. Mine perch on Java Fern leaves. When I had my Fluval 404, they both perched on the 17" marine land Hidden LED's on the front left side of my tank since they flow reached all the way to the front of the tank.

Enjoy and post pics!

I've had my bamboo shrimp for 6+ months now, not exactly sure what month I bought them in tbh. But they have grown and don't seem to show any signs at all of being short lived. I think the short life spans a lot of people complain about is more based on how they were caught and cared for throughout transport and the time spent at the store. Mine don't perch much, but they have plenty of spots to do it if they so choose, mine seem to check out all of the tank and have a driftwood with a hollow spot as a hide out.

Thank you for the advice everyone! I am excited. Feel free to post pic of your bamboo shrimps! I sure will when I get them hehe.

With old filter media your good to go. You can also supplement their food with finely crushed flakes or algae wafers ... at least that's what I've read other do.
I've never purposely feed my Bamboo, I just feed the fish and let nature do the rest. Happy Bamboo shrimp should just fan the output constantly. If after a few days (they explore new tanks and sift around) you still see them sifting the substrate, it means they are going hungry ... not enough microbes or insufficient flow in the water.

As for what you can use for them to perch on, just make it high enough to reach the output, they'll do the rest. Mine perch on Java Fern leaves. When I had my Fluval 404, they both perched on the 17" marine land Hidden LED's on the front left side of my tank since they flow reached all the way to the front of the tank.

Enjoy and post pics!

Hmm I wonder if the sword plants or filigree plants are strong enough to hold them? I have some right under my filter. Going to look for some driftwood for them anyways. A LFS had some on sale with Anubis attached to them, maybe I can slant it upwards on another piece of wood I have.

Back
Top Bottom