Bamboo Shrimp help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Hello all,

I recently had a bamboo shrimp given to me by a friend. It's currently in a QT tank. This thing is huge for a shrimp, it's over 2" long.

I'm not familiar with this type of shrimp, other than they filter the water with thier fans.

What should I do with him? I can put it in my nicely planted tank with rams, tetras and ghost shrimp, but would the bamboo hurt any of my fish?
I'd be really upset if it hurt one of my rams. The rams are only juvies, about 3/4" long.

Or I could just toss him in a tank that only has a crab and a crayfish. This sounds more practical, but I'm worried this tank doesnt supply enough food for him to filter.

Any thoughts........Thanks

Bamboos are very gentle shrimp. They don't have claws, only fans, and couldn't hurt a fish much less protect themselves if they wanted to - your rams are fine :) Your rams may wind up pushing the bamboo around once they mature more then anything else.

Bamboos need planted tanks, and you will likely still need to supplement his diet; OSI Microfoods are recommended. Don't move it in with the crab and the crayfish; they will kill the shrimp.

Thats what I thought. I was looking at them the other day at a LFS. A gentleman told me he had a bamboo shrimp eat his ghost shrimp, guppies, plants everything. As it turns out, he was in getting his water tested and had an Amon. of 2.

After he left, I ask the shop employee and they told me this was his first tank. Sounds like water issues to me, not a rampped bambo shrimp.

The "daisy chain" pet store sold him about a dozen more fish, rather than explain the water cycle :roll: .

Oi. Poor little bugger (and poor fish!). LOL Had the guy taken one good look at the bamboo, he'd have seen its physically impossible for it to hurt anything; tickle it to death mebbe LOL but hurt it?

Wow, and they sold him more fish after telling him he has ammonia in the tank? Feh. Time to find a new store.

There in lies the problem. This was the gentlemans first tank. I'm sure he did'nt realize how a bamboo shrimp feeds. Seeing how the shrimp was the last one standing (surprisingly) after an Amon. spike. Perhaps he simply assumed the shrimp was the cause.

Do'nt even get me started on "daisy chain" pet store advice. I could easily right a short book on it :evil:

If you'll excuss me, I'll now steep down off my soap box.

Also they like a good stream of water current as this helps them get food to those little fans.
!!

Back
Top Bottom