bamboo shrimp questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmdavies

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i noticed my bamboo shrimp scrape the substrate so i think this means there isnt enough food in my water for them.
Do pwc's have a negative affect on their food? Is there a food i could buy especialy for filter feeders?

thank you

I've heard that some people will grind up food to a fine powder and almost try and spot feed with there filter feeders, if he is looking in the substrate it is not a good sign. try grinding up food to a powder and putting it in until your water column has established sufficient nutrients. You also may want some other type of clean up crew to clean up the excess powdered food from the substrate.

Someone else chime in if i'm wrong.

This is correct, however a Bamboo Shrimp will also scrape the bottom if he just happens to find a good pile of food on the bottom. (i.e. a soggy algae wafer).

In general, you would need a fairly large ecosystem (75+ gallons) to support even a single Bamboo Shrimp without supplemental feedings. A Bamboo shrimp won't necessarily starve to death, but they won't be quite as vibrant.

thanks guys. so what would be the best way to supplement their diets

Crush up and flake or pellet food into a powder and monitor if the shrimp begins to filter feed. You may have to try and spot feed with a pipet or like a turkey baster.

how much would i have to grind up and add my tank is 63 gallons im guessing it would have to be a lot to make a difference for them. ill try using the pipette idea if i can get them to come out

I would try using the pipet method first. I woulding want you to habe too much food floating around. If and when you do try that route if the pipet method doesnt work i would start with small amounts and crush it up really fine so it doesnt sink to the bottom for awhile.

Back
Top Bottom