Bamboo Shrimp VS African Fan Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobbFErwin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I currently have a bamboo shrimp in my tank, hes not very active and sorta just sits around and sometimes filter feeds.

I went to my local pet store today and they had African fan shrimp. Im wondering if anyone has experience with these guys. My main question being are they more active than the bamboo shrimp?

Thanks guys

Well they are nocturnal so I doubt they will be any more active than bamboo shrimp. Of anything less active

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

And sitting around and fanning is pretty much all any type of filter shrimp will do

If he isn't fanning that means that there isn't enough food in the water. Does he dig around through the substrate? If he does it actually is a sign that he is starving and isn't getting food through fanning

How old is your tank? Filter feeders need to be in established tanks so they have enough food.

If he isn't fanning that means that there isn't enough food in the water. Does he dig around through the substrate? If he does it actually is a sign that he is starving and isn't getting food through fanning

How old is your tank? Filter feeders need to be in established tanks so they have enough food.

Tank is almost 2 months old. I don't find him digging through the substrate. Sometimes I see him on a plant fanning near my filter, but other times hell just sit dormant on a piece of wood and occasionally feed off of whatever is on the wood. I feel like he should be getting enough food because when I feed my tank I crush the flakes up extremely fine to make sure it gets everywhere.

I'm curious to read what else it to be said about bamboo shrimps. I also have one and he too hides under and behind the drift wood all day.

My wife actually told me she sees him out and about fanning at night. She thinks he was nocturnal. But we also know that it was advised that there is some rocks or driftwood that he could perch up on where the filter is, so he can catch anything coming out.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi, I keep giant African shrimp and I've had them for a year. I agree the tank needs to be mature mine had been up and running for over a year before I decided to add them. I keep them with a couple of apple snail's. They get target fed every second day i feed spirulina powder, green plankton, crushed flakes, frozen daphnia and frozen fish eggs which they love. I have two filter's running on my tank one with a spray bar which they like to sit under and fan. I also add extra calcium too the tank to help with molting. Mine are out and about all day and i really enjoy watching them! They grow pretty big and I'm also thinking of upgrading their tank. Hope this helps.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Two months isn't old enough unfortunately. They suggest a tank be up and running 6 months to a year before adding filter feeders.

I definitely wouldn't get one as it seems like your current bamboo is probably starving.

Two months isn't old enough unfortunately. They suggest a tank be up and running 6 months to a year before adding filter feeders.

I definitely wouldn't get one as it seems like your current bamboo is probably starving.

I was thinking about swapping it out, my Lfs does exchanges, store credit, ect.

Thanks for the info Shelly, maby I'll trade mine in for one of the smaller ones.

Back
Top Bottom