Bamboo shrimp with baby RCS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering if it'd be okay to put them in together, since bamboo shrimp get around 3"

Yes, they will do fine since bamboo shrimp are filter feeders as already mentioned. With that in mind, make sure you have enough current in the tank to kick up debris/food for the bamboo shrimp or they will starve. This happens very often with these as people don't know how they feed and just purchase them thinking they are cool looking.

dude they look like the ones i had, but their called Flower Shrimps ...wieerd... ><

-------------------------------------------
what does it mean to be a filter feeder?

if it means they feed from the filter that makes sense, because I see them hanging onto my filter or infront of it with their fans

Asian Filter Shrimp, Bamboo Shrimp, Wood Shrimp, Fan Shrimp, Flower Shrimp all are Atyopsis moluccensis.

means they use their fan type arms what ever you want to call it to collect food and eat it. they sit in the current that brings them new food.

I forget, but I believe in the wild, these shrimp get to be like 18" long..

Seeing how the bamboo shrimp could pick up food off the ground if they got hungry, I was thinking it wouldn't be too hard to pick off some 2mm long baby rcs. Thanks guys.

Depending on the size of your tank, a small powerhead can supply a nice localized current for the bamboo shrimp. You would need to put a filter on the intake side (sponge/mesh/etc.) to prevent the RCS from getting in there, but this is a nice way to have a horizontal flow that the shrimp can sit in front of. Again SMALL PH, preferably an AquaClear or similar as they have a variable flow setting so you could put it on low.

I have an AquaClear PH I use as a CO2 diffuser, and it would be perfect IMO as the current is very low.

Back
Top Bottom