Band hurt my fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

booginish

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok iv got a 10 " piranha in a tank right near the space were my band practices, will the sound of the music hurt my fish, like the drums and bass or w.e, iv got no were else to put my tank or my jam space, so its kind of a dilema, i cant tell if its bothering him, i just want to know if this could kill him?

hmmmm interesting one... i would think the glass of the tank and the water would dissipate the sound to just about nothing by the time it reached the fish... but the vibration from the bass might affect it... but all in all i would think you'd be okay... never heard of a fish dying from heavy metal overload hahaha... maybe itll start headbanging

As long as the music isn't Rap or Country Western the fish should be just fine.

(y)

The very high pitched sounds will likely get extreamly muffled by the water. But the bass will be able to shake the fish themselfs. Think of the times when your body litterally FEELS the bass from someones car radio cranked up real loud. You don't hear any of the lyrics, but you sure feel the base. I could see where that would stress the fish, even if the fish are in the next room... that bass will penetrate an interior wall easily.

If you are really that worried about it, wrap the tank in carpet before you jam. Carpet is a sound deadener, it will stop the sound and vibrations from entering the tank glass however the stand is a different story.

In my studio I use sound dampening foam in corners and on walls and other areas of sound entrapment. In corners with 90 degrees sound cancels itself out (phase) and thus does not bounce back it goes into the corner and essentially stops there. If you have the tank in a corner you could put the foam padding behind the tank. You could also put it anywhere else you think would help keep the sound from reaching the tank at concerning levels. I think you will be fine however because sound travels through water slower than air. Bass being that you have more of a wavelength will not actually harm the fish with sound. It could cause the water to jiggle at the top but unless you have the amp on the outside of the tank it will not disrupt the fish. This goes for the kick drum as well. Higher pitch sounds mids to highs dont dampen as quickly throughout space. For instance a low e on a bass and a high e on the guitar from a distance the high e from the guitar can be heard over the low e on the bass if it is heard at all. So no problem there because sound does reflect of hard surfaces and your tank(glass) is a hard surface. Little sound is actually getting through to your fish if any at all. Just dont put your fish tank in the kick drum!
Interesting fact:
On TOOL's 10,000 days record they filled the studio with helium to get higher and richer highs and mids, they wanted them to really carry. It also gives everything low such as bass guitar and kick drum a punchier effect.
Sound 101 haha

If you are really that worried about it, wrap the tank in carpet before you jam. Carpet is a sound deadener, it will stop the sound and vibrations from entering the tank glass however the stand is a different story.

High frequencies... yes
Low frequencies... won't have an effect at all, not to mention the stand.

Back
Top Bottom