banjo catsfish and danios together?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ultratonic1

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just picked up a banjo catfish and for he most part, based on what I read, they are great for community tanks. I have also come accross a few sites that say that these critters become predators at night and will eat small fish. I plan to put them in my tank that has zebra danios and will be none too pleased if this is true. Any have a tank with these 2 types of fish?

Yep, banjos are carnivorous fish so I wouldn't be surprised if some of your danios start vanishing. Even though they're fast and agile, banjo cats are nocturnal and the danios will have to sleep sometime...

-sigh- the LFS swore they were peaceful. I should have known better. what are they safe to mic with? I've got a 10 gal with cory cats, guppies and platties and the 5 1/2 with lemon tetras. the 5 1/2 is way too small for it I'm sure.

Well, it says they're "peaceful". They are. But they're also carnivorous- in a peaceful way. :wink:

It's not to say that it will eat your other fish because it may not. Just don't be surprised if its tankmates start to vanish.

just stay on top of feedings so they don't resort to live food :D Kind of like in the huge aquariums with sharks and fish swimming around together. Sure, a few fish disappear but that is kept to a minimum with the proper amount of feedings. Of course, banjo catfish aren't exactly sharks so I *think* you'll have an easier time.

I'm sure the banjo won't do ANYTHING to the danios. Banjos won't usually eat tetras, you could keep cories with them too.

Besides how big is it? Fish stores I go to that have them only sell ones that are around an 1-2 inch big.

I have a almost 6-inch raphael catfish that is bigger than my hand and it doesn't touch my amano shrimp (or any of my tetras) and I know that his mouth is much bigger than ur banjo's.

my banjo is at the most 3 inches. I watched him last night and it seems the danios are more of a danger to him than the other way around. They harrassed the banjo and the banjo just dug himself deeper into the gravel.

Do you have any driftwood or caves in the tank with sand in them so that the banjo can hide out during the day?

Back
Top Bottom