Barbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Haven't had the pleasure of keeping them yet, but I love Cherry Barbs, Odessa Barbs, and Black Ruby Barbs :) Cherries are probably my favorite of the three if I had to pick only one though. They're much more community friendly and consistently colorful.

Cherry Barb:
cherryBarb4.jpg

Odessa Barb:
p-89755-Odessa-Male.jpg

Black Ruby Barb:
black-ruby-barb-1276968015-800.jpg

Rosy and Odessa.

Unfortunately, I can't keep them any more. They destroy all of my delicate plants. :(

Oooo, yeah, I forgot all about the Rosys.... They're on my favorites list as well, especially the long fin varieties :)

rosy_barb_male_001_w240.jpg

Haven't had the pleasure of keeping them yet, but I love Cherry Barbs, Odessa Barbs, and Black Ruby Barbs :) Cherries are probably my favorite of the three if I had to pick only one though. They're much more community friendly and consistently colorful.

Cherry Barb:
cherryBarb4.jpg

Odessa Barb:
p-89755-Odessa-Male.jpg

Black Ruby Barb:
black-ruby-barb-1276968015-800.jpg

just make sure you keep a 2 to 1 ratio of females to males - I have 6 Cherry barbs, they are mostly friendly.

Love cherry barbs. I was thinking of getting some black rubies but i don't want them if they are the same as tigers.

IMO Tigers are as nasty with each other as african cichlids but with out the nice colors.

Take this from someone who(se) ... for what it's worth... had every barb pictured so Far, NO BARB compares to the Denison Barb. Which reminds me I need to try and get a recent pic of my three .... Ugh they never stop moving.

Take this from someone who(se) ... for what it's worth... had every barb pictured so Far, NO BARB compares to the Denison Barb. Which reminds me I need to try and get a recent pic of my three .... Ugh they never stop moving.

I have to agree there. Denisons hands down!

I love 5-banded (pentazona) barbs. They look like tiger barbs but aren't nippy!

I have to agree there. Denisons hands down!

Here's my 3, it's the best pic I could manage. In my tank, my two Green Barbs are my favorite. But outside of my tank, Denison's are by far my favorite.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 148
Here's my 3, it's the best pic I could manage. In my tank, my two Green Barbs are my favorite. But outside of my tank, Denison's are by far my favorite.

Are Denison barbs expensive?

Are Denison barbs expensive?

Yes and No:blink:.

At Mom and Pop LFS's they can go for $25+ each.

Pet-smart ...at least the one by me .... however has at times sold them for less than $5 each during sales. Lately around $10 each.

My favorite Barb has always been Black Ruby Barbs HOWEVER, if I were to set up another tank for barbs, I would definitely look for Denison Barbs. ( They weren't around when I stopped keeping FW fish as a hobbyist ;) ) I love that scissortail look

Male Black Ruby Barbs are awesome when the color up. I only have one male with three females so at times he colors up nicely, at others he's dull. I considered adding a bunch more BRB's ... especially males .... back then, but it never worked out.

If I were to redo my Barb tank from scratch, It would be Denison, Green Tiger Barbs and BRB's ... my 1, 2, 3 choices.

I have a school of rosy barbs, and I really like them. They are very active and passive. I have also breed them and currently have some rosy barb fry that I am raising.

Back
Top Bottom