Barbs & QTing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taylorodw

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello,

I am soon going to stock my tank with 11 Gold Barbs and 9 Tiger Barbs (4 striped, 5 green). I am going to purchase them at the same time, and I plan on putting some in the empty (cycled and planted) tank, and QTing the others in a 10gal tank.

I have been thinking of QTing the Tigers in the 10gal, because they're the smaller schol. Will there be too much aggression for the 4 weeks to safely keep them there?

I can put in substrate, plants, and DW to provide cover. Is this a good idea for QT? I have low light so probably just Java Ferns and Anubias.

Or should I QT the 11 Gold Barbs? This seems like it could be a little much, but would it be better if I keep up the PWCs?

How much ammonia have you been dosing during the cycle? You may get away with adding them all at once (but you'd have to keep a close eye on your parameters)

How large are the tiger barbs? If they're juvies, they'll be fine for a few weeks in a 10. If fully adult, no way.... ;)

i would be more concerned with the cycle like mfd said. dropping 9 fish into a tank that didnt have 9 fish in it previously can cause problems

I have been dosing 4 ppm (1 tsp) in my 30gal tank. I have two HOBs, one for a 10gal. The 10gal HOB will be moved over.

I haven't gotten the barbs yet but they will probably be just large enough to show their color well.

Back
Top Bottom