Barbs killing serpae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eileen22

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 10 gallon tank, which has been very healthy for over a year, and everyone was getting along fine. Fish are:

1 iridescent shark (getting big)
1 platy
2 neon tetras
1 head and tail light tetra
1 silver tetra (I think that is what it is, it is more round and has two dark stripes)
1 serpae tetra

These guys were all getting along fine. I had lost a few fish over a year ago, which is why there are only 2 neons and 1 platy, etc.

Anyway, I decided to add some fish. I got barbs, which I have had before and have never had a problem with agressive behavior towards the tetras & sharks. This time I added:

1 tiger barb (medium sized)
2 small green barbs
5 very small albino barbs

As soon as I added these guys they started chasing the other fish around. Over the next few days the albinos were nipping at the shark constantly, which I see is bothering him a lot. Now the serpae looks like it is dying (upside down in the tank, not swimming).

Could all of the barbs nipping have caused the serpae to be dying? I have been monitoring the ph level, and it seems to be fine. Should I remove all of the barbs, are they too agressive for the rest of the fish? They were not listed as an agressive fish at the store.

Thanks.

Yes barbs can be down right nasty. You have way to many fish and the over crowding is making the barbs behavior even worse. I would return the barbs and the shark to the store. They both will get to large for a ten gallon tank. That shark can reach 3 feet.

We have had the shark for many years, and are quite attached to him. He is about 4" long now, do you think that is too big for the tank? Is it cruel to keep him in the 10 gallon tank? He seemed happy until those barbs came along!

hey im sort of having a problem like yours. I have 4 tetra serpae, 1 red tail shark, 3 green tiger barbs. Well one of the barbs is chasing the other two. They don't bother other fish though. As a matter of fact the tiny red tail shark stands its ground and chases off the barbs. But that one tiger barb that is chasing the other two barbs is very aggressive and is really chasing those two barbs pretty much all day long.

Yes he will grow very large. He will suffer in a ten gallon tank, they really should not be sold at all.

For your present problem take the barbs back.

What about the serpae? Was it killed by the barbs? (It's not dead yet, but I think it is on its way.) Can all of that nipping kill a fish? I know the serpae was healthy before these barbs were added. Thanks.

Yes the barbs nipping stresses the other fish. They are relentless. I have no doubt they are killing your serpae and irritating your shark.

i3k like I said in your other thread since you have a 30 you could try upping your school size so they only have eyes for each other. So to speak.

If you are attached to the shark, you will have to get him a larger tank soon. I agree with Rich, take back the barbs for now and look into a larger tank for the sharks.

Back
Top Bottom