Barbs picky eaters?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ErinP22

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Yeah, unusual, I know! I have 2 tigers and 4 albino tigers. When I open the top to feed them they all come to the top of the water, excitedly, the albinos are especially boisterous and nibble on my finger if I put it in the water. Anyways.... The problem is they won't eat the flake food. They looove the frozen blood worms I give them every 2nd or 3rd day, they'll eat those until they burst. But when I feed them the flake they don't even look the least bit interested... If they do check it out they almost always spit it back out. I have Omega One super color flakes, which is what my LFS recommended... Before trying a new food I thought I'd check with you all. Should I keep trying this food? Should I try something else, and if so, any recommendations? I'm assuming they need a more varied diet than blood worms. Thank you!!
(ps. New here, will do the introduction Monday when I'm on a computer and it's easier to type, until then, nice to meet you, I'm Erin, and your help is very much appreciated!)

Sounds like your Barbs got too used to the Bloodworms. Try not feeding them for a day or two (I know ... sounds harsh ... but they'll be fine) then give them flakes. If they're hungry enough they'll eat it.:D

If they still refuse to eat the flakes .... then maybe it's time to consider switching.
I use tetra min tropical crisps ... and they all eat it heartily.

Although Barbs practically anything ... they do require a varied diet including vegetables. I do cooked peas once a week, Bloodworms once or twice a week and Brine Shrimp once or twice a week.

Peas huh? I'll have to remember that one and try it. You mash them up a little? I've heard of doing boiled zucchini and was going to try that one, cooked peas sounds pretty easy too though... You use frozen peas? I wouldn't trust canned peas, and aside from the sugar snap peas, which are more pod than pea, those are my only two options. Once they come in season I can get them raw at the farmers market, but that'll be a while.

Peas huh? I'll have to remember that one and try it. You mash them up a little? I've heard of doing boiled zucchini and was going to try that one, cooked peas sounds pretty easy too though... You use frozen peas? I wouldn't trust canned peas, and aside from the sugar snap peas, which are more pod than pea, those are my only two options. Once they come in season I can get them raw at the farmers market, but that'll be a while.

And Zucchini ... I just haven't tried it yet ... but your right(y). I used canned peas (rinsed) ... then froze in a tupperware.(y) I usually do not boil them, just let them sit in water for a few minutes then I squeeze them open .. though the straight shell does make it in the tank from time to time:eek: They just ignore it.

I feed my barbs a mix of Tetra Pro crips, bloodworms (both dryed and frozen), and a "veggy blend" I get from a local fish shop. The only thing I could never get them to eat was brine shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom