Bare bottom or sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All of my permanent goldfish tanks have pool filter sand. I have had gravel in the past and I find sand to be SOO much easier to keep clean and maintain than gravel especially with messy fish. Plants seem to do much better in sand as well. :)

NO!! Ive never kept plants before but mine are thriving, i have just gravel, i use rootabs and API liquid Co2

I guess I can look into some live plants I just need to find some that are goldfish safe or if I decide to do a whole different stock.

Are you sure the problem isn't the type of sand you have? It's said that some types have sharper grains than others. I'm going to set my new tank up with part coarse river sand and part fine play sand. I hope it will agree with cories and kuhlis.

It's possible that the sand doesn't suit the cores. It's pool sand from Fleetfarm. This problem started when I added new cories to my tank 6 months ago then I've had some pass away. Before that, my cories were doing really well until they grew 2". I also suspect that it's a disease that cories are susceptible to that I introduced into my tank, instead of the high bioload in the sand. I've been reading about barble melting and many point to high organics.

Back
Top Bottom