Basic Feeding Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LiQuiD

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I wanted to ask the basic question to the community... "How much and how often do you feed your fish?"

I have heard so many different responses to this question, I wanted to see what this group had to say on the subject. Im sure they're are certain variables that apply considering what kind of fish, how big, etc. I really want to make sure that I am feeding my fish an ample amount of food, and not starving them.

I have a 55 gallon tank with 20 fish in it. (Angels, Gouramis, Coreys, Tetras)
I feed every other day. I feed a couple pinches of flakes, about 4-6 dried shrimp pellets, and 4-5 algae waffers. (They all love them!) They all go nutts when i feed, so I just want to be sure im not starving them.

i feed 3 small pinches to my community a day
my oscar gets 8 cichlid sticks he is 5 inches and eats evreything
my betta a pinch a day really small

I feed one meal a day because of my work schedule.

65 fish to feed lol I got a big plastic box for all my assorted foods then the freezer for frozen.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I have a little glass spoon that's smaller than a dime, I feed my guppies about a sixth of that with hikira fry food, and maybe half a spoon of hikira livebearers a day. Then depending on the day, I'll throw a few bottom feeders tabs or half an algae tab in for the plecos and khulis in as well. The betta gets like 5-7 pellets a day, with a fasting day thrown in.

My Endlers tank is an ongoing cycle of pregnant females and fry in varying stages of growth so they get fed 2, sometimes 3 times a day. All of other tanks are once daily. I also have to consider what shrimp are where since I only feed them every other day. In dry I have flake and pellets and wafers, probably more than I can remember. I have a couple packs of frozen foods and now I'm hoping to establish a couple colonies of scuds to have live food available regularly.

Their stomach is about the size of their eye. And they'll always want more food. They don't know when to quit eating. Feed what they can eat in about two minutes. You don't want any left over food in the tank.

Their stomach is about the size of their eye. And they'll always want more food. They don't know when to quit eating. Feed what they can eat in about two minutes. You don't want any left over food in the tank.

My pictus cat defies the "eye" feeding. He eats algae wafers that are easily double his eye size in one bite. He's a pig lol.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I feed my community tank a pinch of flakes twice a day and 2 algae pellets for my rams who LOVE it. Also once a week I feed them a frozen blood worm meal and everyone digs in.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

This ^

The quickest way to trouble in a tank is by overfeeding.
My routine once the fish are bigger is once a day or even every other day and that's using the stomach the size of the eye as a gage.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Both my community tanks get a pinch of omega one flakes twice a day. Only enough to eat in about 2 minutes. Bettas each get 2 pellets twice a day and a algae wafer for my shrimp and corys

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

I give my two tanks each a pinch of omega one tropical fish flakes twice a day with an occasional algae wafer and/or peas, the mollies go nuts for this.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom