Battle of the filters.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nevaehleon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a Tetra Whisper 10-20 gallon filter in my tank. My whole room STINKS, I narrowed down the smell to my catridge! I have two male ACFs in there now and I haven't cycled it yet, but I'm waiting until I can get this smell under controll. I was looking at PetSmart the other day and I saw a Fluval External Canister filter. I noticed that it didn't have a cartridge, it had like a sponge thing. So since I am removing the issue of a smelly cartidge will getting the Fluval External Canister filter help the smell at all? I have one more question. Do you think my tank could be going through a mini-cycle?
:bawl::band: I just thought the band was cute.
lol,
nevleo

First question is how large is your tank?
2nd what's your stock?

An external cartridge shouldn't smell that bad unless it's and underpowered filter ... IMO.

Which fluval are you looking at specifically? ... the 205? If so that will help with the smell as the filter media will be relatively sealed inside the filter. However as you would be starting from scratch you can expect a mini-cycle unless you seed. Let us know the filter your interested in so we can help with suggestions of seeding .. but if it an 05 series fluval, you could take apart the cartridge and stuff the padding into one of the filter baskets to seed the biomax ceramic rings.

I've never done it, but that's how I'd go about it ... maybe someone here's already has.

First question is how large is your tank?
2nd what's your stock?

An external cartridge shouldn't smell that bad unless it's and underpowered filter ... IMO.

Which fluval are you looking at specifically? ... the 205? If so that will help with the smell as the filter media will be relatively sealed inside the filter. However as you would be starting from scratch you can expect a mini-cycle unless you seed. Let us know the filter your interested in so we can help with suggestions of seeding .. but if it an 05 series fluval, you could take apart the cartridge and stuff the padding into one of the filter baskets to seed the biomax ceramic rings.

I've never done it, but that's how I'd go about it ... maybe someone here's already has.

That's what I did when I went from a HOB to a Fluval 405. I removed every piece of filter media and jammed it in with the ceramic bio-media in the canister. I didn't have any ammo spikes, just make sure to watch your water parameters for a few days.

That's what I did when I went from a HOB to a Fluval 405. I removed every piece of filter media and jammed it in with the ceramic bio-media in the canister. I didn't have any ammo spikes, just make sure to watch your water parameters for a few days.

Thanks for the input Eco23 .. I feel better now knowing that's how it could be done effectively.

Ya its a 10gal and I have no clue which Fluval I want, which one will stop the smell? The 205? I will be upgrading to a bigger tank soon.

How long has the tank been set up and do you know your water parameters (ammo, no2, no3)? What do you mean that you're waiting to cycle it? If there are animals in there...it's already cycling and you need to be sure you have a quality test kit so you can always keep ammonia and nitrIte under .25 at all times until the tank cycles.

What size tank do you plan on upgrading to? The 205 is rated for 40 gallons, and having double the required filtration is always a good rule of thumb.

Ok I wanted to upgrade to at least a 20gal. My tank has been set up for a week now. I took my frogs out this morning and I tested my water the ammo WAS 8ppm I have 0ppm NI and 0ppm NA. So now I am doing a fishless cycle. I didn't want to hurt my frogs. I got the ammo to 5ppm or 4ppm and I am waiting for it to start going down to 1ppm.

Ok I wanted to upgrade to at least a 20gal. My tank has been set up for a week now. I took my frogs out this morning and I tested my water the ammo WAS 8ppm I have 0ppm NI and 0ppm NA. So now I am doing a fishless cycle. I didn't want to hurt my frogs. I got the ammo to 5ppm or 4ppm and I am waiting for it to start going down to 1ppm.

Wow. Considering .25 and below is considered a safe(ish) level of ammonia, I hope your frogs didn't take too much damage being in that tank.

Where are you keeping the frogs now? If it's another uncycled tank, you're just going to have the same problem there. Here's a good link to teach you about cycling with fish (or frogs).
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

If you upgrade to a 20 gallon, I think the Fluval 205 would be perfect as far as canister filters go. They're rated for 40 gallons, and would be double the filtration which is perfect.

Keep us posted :)

Back
Top Bottom