Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-14-2015, 04:44 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUKIT View Post
Yup that's it, I've fought with this for years and years now. It doesn't matter what I feed, what the water conditions are, or any other fact for that matter. This has been my biggest issue with keeping new worlds in the last 10 years or so, never with Lake Malawi. I've used Neil's method many times with even force feeding some of my festae but not with a great amount of success to be honest. I literally lost two lyonsi within the last couple of months. I've started to use hex shield as well with a great amount of success so Pablo comes through again.
So for you does the problem reoccur without adding new stock or does it come in with new stock that is being added? I can't understand where this coming from. I constantly do water changes, never use live food. I feed a mix of frozen, NLS pellets and some flakes.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:50 PM   #12

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers2k View Post
So for you does the problem reoccur without adding new stock or does it come in with new stock that is being added? I can't understand where this coming from. I constantly do water changes, never use live food. I feed a mix of frozen, NLS pellets and some flakes.
Yes, I've had stock clear for months only to battle it again and start to lose fish because the treatment wouldn't work again. Hex Shield is not a daily food as it contains Metro but I use it on all new fish as part of my QT process and started using it every six months as a preventative.

I have still lost a few fish but since starting with that line of foods the deaths have dropped by 98%. Another reason you'll only see NLS in my room.

Old 10-14-2015, 05:26 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

There is a resistance built up to the metro over time. A big reason not to keep the food in regular rotation.

Jesse
Old 10-14-2015, 05:31 PM   #14

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassengerTN View Post
There is a resistance built up to the metro over time. A big reason not to keep the food in regular rotation.

Jesse
Yes, that and it can lead to organ failure as well. Which is why I don't recommend feeding after the initial dose, I feed every six months but that is my choice and not one I'd tell a inexperienced aquarist to do. Simply soaking pellets in Epsom salts is a far better idea for maintenance.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:16 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the info. I soaked food in metro and epsome salts last night. My hexshield should arrive today. I did 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of epsome salts in my tank last night. This morning my fish that had it the worst was swimming a 2" long piece of white feces before it dropped from him. I hope that is a sign that the meds and salt is working through the body.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:36 AM   #16

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers2k View Post
Thanks for the info. I soaked food in metro and epsome salts last night. My hexshield should arrive today. I did 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of epsome salts in my tank last night. This morning my fish that had it the worst was swimming a 2" long piece of white feces before it dropped from him. I hope that is a sign that the meds and salt is working through the body.
As long as they are still eating that's a good sign. It's when they start refusing food that it makes it harder to treat, trying to force a fish with a rubber pipette is huge pain in the backside.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:32 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUKIT View Post
As long as they are still eating that's a good sign. It's when they start refusing food that it makes it harder to treat, trying to force a fish with a rubber pipette is huge pain in the backside.
I have only done that once before it is a pain.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:40 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Most of the fish seem to be doing better. I am only seeing white poop from one of the fish. The fish that is still showing symptoms didn't show symptoms when I first started feeding hex shield a few days ago. I hope she is just a few steps behind the others. These are the steps I am taking

1. Feeding hex shield. Fish aren't refusing yet but they aren't eager about it either.
2. Epsome Salt 1tbs spoon for every 5 gallons
3. Metro dosed tank as directed by the bottle.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:01 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

So the fish decided they are done with the Hex Shield treatment. They nibbled it last night and stayed away from it this morning. I added some flakes to make sure they had an appetite and they accepted those greedily. I don't see anymore white feces and out of some I have seen some colored feces so that is a good sign. I hope we are out of the woods. I did treat the tank with Epsome salts after doing 90% water change last night.

Tags
hex

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com