BB Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiger terror

Aquarium Advice Addict
I use a magnum 350(marineland)every couple of weeks I'm having to toss the filter media when I clean the filter causing me to lose the bb which has colonised in the media,looking for ideas for alternatives for not repeatively doing this time&time again..the 350 is an excellent machine but no room to keep biomax materials or anything similar in the canister...thought about adding a marineland biowheel but here's more filters I don't want to buy..any ideas?

tiger terror said:
I use a magnum 350(marineland)every couple of weeks I'm having to toss the filter media when I clean the filter causing me to lose the bb which has colonised in the media,looking for ideas for alternatives for not repeatively doing this time&time again..the 350 is an excellent machine but no room to keep biomax materials or anything similar in the canister...thought about adding a marineland biowheel but here's more filters I don't want to buy..any ideas?

Not sure this is the right section. But are you saying you throw it out? Or rinse in tap water? Most including me just rinse in dirty tank water during water changes. I'll put it in a bucket of tank water swish it around and put it back. You shouldn't throw out your filter until its practically falling apart.

I had a marineland penguin 350 but since have switched to aquaclear 110. I run 2 on my 75.

You may wanna get in touch with a MOD, this needs to be in the general section I believe.

Hope that helps.

Moved to the Freshwater - General Discussion area.

Convict is correct. Typically you do not want to throw away your filter media because you will lose all your beneficial bacteria. Just rinse in tank water and reuse until it literally falls apart.

I have the same filter and i switched out half the carbon for biomax. I will eventually go to all biomax but i didn't want to have more than a minicycle in the tank and the carbon was so old i figured it was no longer acting as a reagent, but more like serface for BB to colonize. I have had no problems with flow or anything else, so this might be an option for you.

Back
Top Bottom