Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-17-2010, 12:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

beach rocks?

hi. i picked up some rocks off the beach whilst on holiday in turkey. i was wondering if someone could identify them and tell me if they are safe to use in my freshwater aquarium? in regards to doing a vinegar test, should the bubbles be a very noticible fizzing or just a bubble every now and then?
many thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	050.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	25681   Click image for larger version

Name:	049.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	25682  

Click image for larger version

Name:	046.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	25683  

Old 10-18-2010, 05:16 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Hello Dan, and welcome to AA.

Most people advise against using rocks found on beaches or public places. However, I have some rocks in my tank that I found on a private beach, and after testing them, they have been fine in my aquarium Use caution, and remember that choosing to add the rocks is your own risk!

As for testing them, if you have an API Master FW test kit, put a drop from nitrate test bottle #2 on the rock. This contains HCL (hydrochloric acid) which is a much stronger acid than vinegar. This is a better test!

Any bubbling = no go, IMO.

Unfortunately, my rock identification skills are slim to none. If you have a snail or fish to identify, though, I could probably help

taylorodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:14 AM   #3
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

an important question when determining whether they will have a negative effect on your pH is, what kind of fish do you have?

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:26 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Tough to say from the pictures, but top two could be a type of slate, but definitely a sheeting sedimentary rock. Bottom ones I would guess are going to be a hard sedimentary like granite, but no clue if they are granite or something else. I would guess that you'll probably find both of those pass the acid test. If they do I would boil them well before adding. But remember, as stated above, even that is no guarantee.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

top two is igneous rock (lava rock) the second is either clay or marble pieces. The igneous rock could have heavy metals in it and could be bad.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:54 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

***sigh***, now you know why I'm not a geologist.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Old 10-19-2010, 01:54 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Could be worst. It coulld be nuclear waste! LOL
Old 10-19-2010, 07:03 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

thanks for your answers. still confused! just to let u know the top two pics are the same rocks as the bottom pic. just taken from further away, rocks turned over and with a flash on the camera.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:16 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

another reason not to use that rock is the most FW tanks have acid water..PH lower then 7.0 which will make the rocks leach whatever is in it.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:33 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
Could be worst. It coulld be nuclear waste! LOL
True enough LOL!

Old 10-19-2010, 04:31 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
another reason not to use that rock is the most FW tanks have acid water..PH lower then 7.0 which will make the rocks leach whatever is in it.
Not true. Most freshwater tanks are not acidic
Old 10-20-2010, 01:25 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

So what PH are we talking about?

Tags
rock, rocks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com