Beat Up Angel Likes To Wedge Himself Into Tight Spots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fredmertz

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a half-black angel that got pretty beat up about three weeks ago. He seems to be making a slow and steady recovery - his feeler fins were lost and are starting to come back-- but over the last 24 hours I have noticed he likes wedging himself into tight spots -- behind ornaments, between the glass and filter tubes, etc.

I have a horrible feeling that this is the beginning of the end. Is that correct?

I don't think so. It seemed to be a one-time thing. I have never witnessed any aggression at all between the Angels, one of which is bigger than the half black and one of which is much smaller. I watch the tank a lot with the lights on and sometimes with the lights off and have never seen a physical attack.

I was thinking more along the lines that he may be trying to find a comfortable secure place to die.

Well, you have several fish (and a lobster) who could easily beat him up. Fish tend to be jerks when fish keepers aren't looking. Do you have a quarantine tank you could put him in? What are your water parameters?
A fish wedging itself behind things can often mean it is hiding from bullying. I am not saying for sure thats what the issue is, but you would know more if you could isolate him from the others. Also, I suggest doing a big pwc to see if it helps perk him up a bit.
I don't know if he can be saved or not, but I hope he is ok.

I'm gonna say he's on the way out the door. My experience with angels they tend to do this when they are severely stressed. The lobster doesn't help either. He could bounce back but I would QT him, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom