Beating the Odds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomK2

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, I moved my Platy fry into the main tank yesterday. While they were in the specimen container for transfer, I got a close enough look to sex them. All six of the fry were females. Since they are0.75 inches long, I think they are old enough to determine sex, right?

The odds of having six fry, all female are pretty small, something like a 3% chance. There was one half eaten fry in the batch ( saw its head floating around), otherwise only 6 fry were seen from the fry drop and all were female and survived. The fry were delivered in a divided breeding tank, with one other pregnant female platy in it ( I didn't know which would drop first)

this will make my display tank go from a 2 male, 4 female ration to 2 males and 10 females! They will be busy boys, I am sure.

You positive they are all females? If so, that's pretty cool considering if it's that small of a chance of it happening. 8)

You positive they are all females?
Got a good look at all of them. Unless there are foolers when they are that small, they are all female. Every now and then you see a post where someone thought they had all females and they were fooled, so ???

I'll keep an eye on them. I know I have read that to do planned breeding, you need to seperate them when they are young to ensure virgin females. I thought they might be old enough ( nearly two months old, 0.75 inches at least.) we'll see. I am suspicious of "foolers" because 6 all female seems a little too unlikely.

same here with my molly fry, all four that made it out seem to be females with little fans on em and such, their about ------ big now

Back
Top Bottom