Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-18-2014, 12:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Unhappy Bed bugs! What next?

I have a 20g planted freshwater aquarium with a hang-on-the-back filter. It is fully cycled and has been active for a year and a half. I have 3 ghost shrimp, a mystery snail, 2 oto cats (I was in the process of establishing a shoal), 2 African dwarf frogs, and a betta living in it. Last night, we discovered that my brother brought bed bugs home from his friend's house and now has a full-blown infestation in his room. Although none of the other rooms have visible signs yet, we are having the entire house treated next Friday.
The pest control company advised that I remove the entire aquarium from the house for the duration of treatment (which could be up to 2 months). I have several friends that MIGHT be willing to take my aquarium for that amount of time, though there are only 2 I would trust to properly care for it. If no one will take them, my next plan of action is to find people with established tanks to adopt all of my fish/frogs/etc.
If one of my friends will take the aquarium, my question is: how do I go about moving it without destroying the bacterial colony, over-stressing the fish (the betta is really old already), or ruining any of the equipment?
HELP! Thank you!

Old 02-18-2014, 12:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

One confirmed can't take the fish. I'm asking the other person now.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's an excellent guide on how to move your tank as efficiently, stress free, and safely as possible: Aquarium Set-up: Moving an Aquarium? Keep it Stress-Free and Efficient

In addition to their recommendations about keeping the media in aquarium water during the move, I would add a battery powered bubbler to the media container so the media has as little die-off as possible.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Aww Mann ! That's the worst! You just made me question my tanks existence in my boston apartment!

Tags
bug

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com