Before I buy, need some veteran advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrzap

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am not a total newbie to aquariums, but thus far I have had a relatively simple setup compared to the beautiful tanks most of you have.

Prior to hurricane Wilma I was running a 10 gallon aquarium with 3 java ferns in straight gravel and a non fluorescent hood running 2 (i *think* they were 20w bulbs). In the tank I had a female beta, 2 golden algae eaters, and many ghost shrimp.

The fish and plants were doing excellent (major plant growth) and the water never had ammonia spikes. I very rarely (maybe every 2 months) had to ever change the filter media in my HOB filters.

Problem is, odd coincidence that it happened 2 days after the hurricane, but my glass tank CRACKED in the middle of the night and water went all over everything (into surge protectors too, luckily I had no power due to the hurricane). I was able to rescue my fish and plants (they are living in buckets), and decided I wanted a bigger better aquarium!

I just purchased an Eclipse system, 29 gallon tank. Its beautiful and has so much potential. I think one of the favorite things about my last tank was my plants and I want more of them.

I want to do my planted tank properly this time around and add lots of plants. The sales people at Big Al's (they opened one local to me, such a great store) were very helpful in letting me know my options for lightning in substrate etc. I just don't want to go overboard.

I need some real world advice from the experts here on what you think I'll really need given the following:

29 Gallon Tank, with integrated bio-wheel, mechanical filter
It has a dual flourescent bulb fixture

I don't want to buy a CO2 system or an additional lighting ballast. I am willing to purchase better bulbs. The guy at big al's said I could do one normal bulb and one bulb that gives a better light spectrum for growth.

I am going back and forth on what kind of substrate I want to get. I was thinking doing a layer of Eco-Complete (if thats the watery black stuff in the bag) with some other type of gravel on top of it. I am just not sure what to use. Ideally, I want to use a white sand, but I don't know if the Eco-Complete would end up getting mixed in it and end up looking bad. If you think this will happen I'll go with something black. Am I better off with a fine black sand or more of a gravel?

Do I even need a layer of organic substrate? Using regular gravel my plants were doing great in my old aquarium.

How many plants do you think I could add to a tank that size without adding a CO2 system? All advice is greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long read.

The substrates will eventually mix now mater how careful you are. If you are planning to stay low light, you can get away with using just sand or gravel and not use the eco at all. You may need to add gravel fertilizer tabs.

You will only need co2 if you go over 2 wpg. So the answer to that question depends on what wattage your new bulbs are. The number of plants has nothing to do with wether or not you need to inject co2.

If you are set on eco-complete then you can use the tahitian mood sand. Very nice stuff, a little expensive or else I would have it too!

Congrats on the upgrade

Sometimes a visual is worthy in order to answer some of your questions. If you take a look at my tank clicky in my sig, you will see what a 75 gal, low-light tank looks like. The tank has 1.1 wpg, reg pebble sized substrate (Estes brand) and a fairly high bio-load.

Ok I took the plunge!

The guys at Big Al's South Florida were very nice about answering my questions and helping me find low/moderate light plants.

I replaced the bulbs that came in my Eclipse hood with (2) 24" 20w Aquaflora Fluorescent tubes and I decided to go with just Eco-Complete for substrate and no layering. I am pretty happy with it.

I went for a Japanese rock garden surrounded by woods type of effect. I may add more plants if these do well.

newtank.jpg

and one without flash for truer color

newtank2.jpg

Comments? Advice? Thanks.

Thanks, I put...

2 Proscerpinaca
2 Italian Valisneria
1 Wisteria
1 Anubia Caffecolia

along with 3 swords I had rescued from the tank that broke. I hope they do well.

I think tomorrow I'll put in my beta fish who has been living in a bucket :)

One beta fish should be able to handle cycling in a 29ga tank right?

Should I bother trying to mess with PH levels at this stage or let the tank settle in first?

Back
Top Bottom