begginer with problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonwar

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just started this 14gl aquarium 4 weeks ago and have had one fish (platy ?) die already. I finally got my ph down to 7.6 by doing partial water changes using distilled water. The original water was from my well with a ph of 8.2. I have an angel fish, 3 tetras, a new platy, and 2 bottom feeders. I use an Aqueon filter and have a heater. The temp is 75 and I have a bubbler with stone attached that I use off and on. My water is cloudy even after 5 partial water changes. I may have been feeding them too much and have changed to once a day. I changed my filter the other day as it was plugged. I have tried using some stuff from the pet shop to clear the water but it does nothing. Will this ever clear up by itself? I am getting tire of waiting.

Your Tank

I just started this 14gl aquarium 4 weeks ago and have had one fish (platy ?) die already. I finally got my ph down to 7.6 by doing partial water changes using distilled water. The original water was from my well with a ph of 8.2. I have an angel fish, 3 tetras, a new platy, and 2 bottom feeders. I use an Aqueon filter and have a heater. The temp is 75 and I have a bubbler with stone attached that I use off and on. My water is cloudy even after 5 partial water changes. I may have been feeding them too much and have changed to once a day. I changed my filter the other day as it was plugged. I have tried using some stuff from the pet shop to clear the water but it does nothing. Will this ever clear up by itself? I am getting tire of waiting.

Hello jon...

A few suggestions to consider or not. You're the head water keeper. The tank is small. One twice this size would be best for a beginner. There's a lot more water to allow for mistakes. Well water isn't a problem for most aquarium fish, they adapt. Just treat the water the same as any public tap water. Use a water treatment like Seachem's "Safe". It will make the water safe for the fish. There's no need to cut the water with something bottled. Bottled gets expensive.

A small tank requires large water changes a couple of times a week, or dissolved wastes will build up and make the fish sick. Work up to 50 percent twice a week. Don't worry about the pH or any chemistry stuff, changing it will cause problems for the fish.

Ease up on the food. Any that's not eaten will mess up the water. Add a floating plant like Hornwort or Anacharis. These are natural water cleaners.

Try these and consider a 30 gallon tank.

B

BBradbury is absolutely correct!

I only feed my fish once every other day. I feed them slowly and make sure they eat what I have put in before I add anymore. The instructions you read on most retail fish food labels tell you to feed 2-3 times a day - this is not healthy for your fish and is just a trick they use to make you buy more food.
If you don't already, try to give them some variety in their diet too. I feed my fish flake food, freeze dried bloodworms, peas, algae wafers, seaweed, and occasionally I throw them some fry food as well because its full of awesome nutrients.

I also use well water. Try to avoid using a lot of chemicals to adjust your water parameters. Water conditioner is a MUST, yes, but adding all that other stuff is not only unnatural, it will probably only provide a temporary fix, if any at all. Driftwood can help lower your pH and is great for bottom feeders!

Hello, how did you cycle your tank before adding fish or are you doing a fish in cycle? Do you have a water test kit? I don't recommend the strips, but you need to be able to test for ammonia in your tank when its so new.

I did not cycle the tank without the fish as I did not know about this. My ammonia is high (4) so I put some stuff in it to reduce ammonia. Haven't tested it since. My nitrites and nitrates were at 0.

Thanks for the info. I'll go back to the well water for partial changes and see how that goes. Don't know where to get driftwood as our pet store doesn't sell it. Lots of natural driftwood around but it is buried in snow : ).

The tank is only just beginning to cycle, which is why you are at 4,0,0 and for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. It could easily be what killed the Platy too.

Personally as it's such a small tank, which will make it harder to cycle, I would take the fish back and cycle it without. An Angelfish needs to be in a much larger tank than 14 gallons, and if you mean Plecos as your bottom feeders they produce a lot of waste which will not help. There are loads of great resources out there to help with this.

For about the first three months, until the tank gets established, feed only a few flakes per fish once a day. After about three months you can feed twice a day.

Amazon is a good source of driftwood.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's a heck of a flight for some dw, better off buying on the Internet..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

On my phone I can't see locations. Was just a suggestion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What species are your "bottom feeders " ??
Plecos ? Cories ? Otos ?

PH above 8 is ok for Some fish. It's high for some WC fish. Tank bred or farmed have better tolerance.

I would start over.
Research what fish come from higher PH water.

Learn how to cycle a tank, with or without fish.

If you want to keep current stock for now ? I'd return any Plecos and the Angel.

Don't buy more fish until the tank is stable and your Ammonia is staying at zero.

Test water daily. Buy a liquid test kit. You want an API Master Test kit or similar.

PH is not a huge deal. Ammonia IS a huge deal and kills fish.

Test your well water also.

And yes, I do part tap/part DI water to lower TDS and Ph in Shrimp tanks. Mine are cycled so I only need a gallon or two a week for my 10g.

Add some easy plants like Java Fern.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fish dying

Thanks to all for your info. Unfortunately I don't seem to have a "wet thumb". I got my water cleared up and it looked like my fish were doing fine. However, I found one of my bottom feeders dead this morning and the other fish wouldn't eat. I checked the ammonia level and it looked to be between 4 and 8. I took out all the ornaments and did a good vacuum of the gravel. I then changed 50% of the water again and added some water conditioner and ammonia safe. I waited a few hours and checked the ammonia again. Same results. :( I think my fish will soon be history if I can't figure out what to do. I have some of that blue gravel stuff from Walmart and may take it out and get some real gravel. I also don't know what to do about the filter. I have read that they should be changed once a month and also not to change them until they start falling apart. ???? What's a guy to do?

For now, don't change your filter media. Just let it be.

You have lots if fish in a small tank. So their waste is going to cause the ammonia, your tank needs to finish cycling. But because if the high amount if waste, the ammonia levels are going to be through the roof.

Frequent PWC are going to be crucial to keep your fish alive. 40-50% daily right now.

But if possible I would return at least the Angel. He will outgrow this tank anyway.

Fish in cycling is tough. I have always done it. But with only a few fish. Not a fully stocked tank.

Good Luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'll keep on trying. I assume by "filter media" you are referring to the replacement cartridges.

The filter media is what is in the filters themselves. Jonwar be strong and the aquarium force will be with you. Lol. Seriously just play by the rules and you will have an awesome tank in no time. All beginner's have trials and tribulations. All the hard work will pay off in the end.;)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Too many fish added too fast have crashed many a tank.

Return some or all the fish till you get a handle on the Ammonia.

Read up on cycling the tank. See if the store or a friend can give you some used media. Keeping it wet, then squeeze it into your filter to help seed your filter with BB.

It is not your thumb that is the issue it is your tank being new with too many fish added too quickly.

GL hope you save your remaining fish. Make good choices.

Smoke Signals Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I believe it has been mentioned but 14g way to small for an Angelfish! I know you probably were not aware of that at the time you bought it....but I have Angelfish that easily span over 6"....anyways patients and time you will be happy with this hobby....I do suggest in the future you get a little bit bigger tank...even a 30g could open a whole world of different fish you could have.... 14g is just to small for most fish.....you could get a school of small fish(neon Tetras or Zebra Danios etc.)...and some Cory cats....After the tank is fully cycled of course.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

First thing, ammonia safe will not remove ammonia, it only makes the ammonia in the water not as toxic. The only way to remove ammonia, is through nitrifying bacteria when you have a cycled tank, and/or water changes.

Don't get discouraged, or let people talk you out of fish keeping. A 14 gal tank is while most the time a little harder to keep for a beginner, is absolutely doable.

Since you have fish, starting over really isn't an option as you already have fish.

Here is what I would do (and have done, we have all been where you are before)

You need to do water changes daily for at least a few days of at least 25% to 50%. This will dilute your ammonia levels and should reduce them greatly. Ammonia is the most toxic to fish so lowing this quickly will help a lot. Make sure you are conditioning your tap water with aquarium water conditioner.

When doing water changes, you can use your gravel vac to get in the gravel to get debris out which will also help.

Also, feeding small amounts will help you out as well in the long run. As much as the fish can eat in 2 minutes time. If there is a lot that gets left on the gravel, you fed to much.

After you get your levels under control (may take a week or 2) you can return to normal maintenance. 10 Percent weekly or bi weekly is usually best, but 25% monthly works as well.

Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom