Beginner fish for a 5 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carlie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It won't be for a little bit... I still need to set up and cycle the tank.

My inherited betta died :(, but letting the tank sit fishless for a while is sufficient right? I feel weird not scrubbing it clean (I can be a little OCD about cleaning), but I know detergents and soaps can't be used... Should I do a water change at least?

Any suggestions? Warnings?

I was considering a tiny school of glofish, or another betta... Shrimp have been suggested and sound pretty cool, too. I'll have to look into that...

I would like active fish (or, er, shrimp) that will interact alot, if not with me then at least with each other. I kinda felt bad for Carl being by himself, so I'm leaning toward a tiny community of something. Nothing too difficult to care for, though... So something hardy would be good.

Thanks for any help! :D

u could do a 20%-40% PWC, but make sure u still got a cycle going in there.. .

well.. .. 5 glofish would be sufficient if u want activities going in ur tank, it's always fun to see them 'flying' around. . .or. ...a crayfish could be an option. ..they're quite interactive towards their 'master', but i dont know if ur tank will be large enough for a crayfish. ..

Glofish (genetically modified danios) are very active swimmers. I wouldn't put them in a tank as small as 5 gallons.

Shrimp would be great and mine are really active and fun to watch.

A dwarf puffer would be another option--they're suppose to be quite responsive.

As for the tank...I'm not sure what happened to your betta...I'd personally probably clean it out (no soaps etc...water should be fine or with bleach--just plain--followed by decholorinator a few times--if you're worried about germs)

You'll need to re-cycle it if there's nothing in the tank living.

Back
Top Bottom