Beginner Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aces11

Aquarium Advice FINatic
First off, I apologize if this is in the wrong section.

What are some good beginner plants that are low tech and low maintenance? Preferably something that doesn't cost a lot and absorb nitrate? I want to give my tank a little bit more natural look and I know almost nothing about plants.

Hi, this probably goes into the FW Planted tank section; I'm sure a Mod will come along and move it if it does.

I'm very new to plants too and asked an experienced member/seller here which plants would do well and she suggested Anubias (Bartieri, Nana), Java Fern, Windelov Fern, and any type of moss probably (Java Moss is what I have). So far they seem OK although I haven't had them long lol. I bought them from Severum Mama on this site; she may have more, not sure. Here's her listing: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f25/lots-of-nice-plants-177080.html

I highly recommend plants and/or fish from her.

There may be others but that's what I have so far.

Java Moss and Java Fern is what I have. Its superb. Anubias is good too. All low lighting and does not need anything else besides the usual 50% pwc every week.

Crpyts are pretty much impossible to kill IME. I planted one upside down once and it sorted itself out. Some beginning stems like Wisteria are good to if you think you have low-medium light.

Anachris, hornwort, and wisteria seem nice. Will my platys or endlers eat them? Would they be readily available at the pet store? Is there anything special I should know about them?

Anachris, hornwort, and wisteria seem nice. Will my platys or endlers eat them? Would they be readily available at the pet store? Is there anything special I should know about them?

No, probably, and not really. If your tank is sufficiently stocked, you should be able to get away with not dosing much if you don't put a lot of plants in.

Hornwort is generally just a floater. You can try planting it, but it may end up coming up rooted. I would have to suggest anacharis as the #1 plant for beginners. It is great, not too picky when it comes to needing ferts, and it grows fast. I just pruned mine today and it was 3ft long!

I personally don't recommend wisteria as it really needs a nutrient rich substrate to flourish. I tried some in a simple gravel substrate, and it failed. Same tank and lighting, but I had soil substrate and it has taken off.

Ya I like the look of anacharis. I think I have plastic ones in my tank right now. Are they commonly available? How much would 1 or 2 plants cost?

adadkins1 said:
Hornwort is generally just a floater. You can try planting it, but it may end up coming up rooted. I would have to suggest anacharis as the #1 plant for beginners. It is great, not too picky when it comes to needing ferts, and it grows fast. I just pruned mine today and it was 3ft long!

U could plant hornwort but it will grow fast

abrahamavelar said:
U could plant hornwort but it will grow fast

Are fast growing plants hard to maintain? I want something that will help keep my nitrates down.

I personally don't recommend wisteria as it really needs a nutrient rich substrate to flourish. I tried some in a simple gravel substrate, and it failed. Same tank and lighting, but I had soil substrate and it has taken off.

I disagree. I keep it in a 10g with 10w CFLs and ugly blue gravel, no really additional ferts. Does fine on fish poop and scrubs the nitrates something amazing.

Wisteria is not a real big root feeder. It gets its nutrients from the water column. Nutrient rich substrate shouldn't help it beyond leeching nutrients.

I disagree. I keep it in a 10g with 10w CFLs and ugly blue gravel, no really additional ferts. Does fine on fish poop and scrubs the nitrates something amazing.

Wisteria is not a real big root feeder. It gets its nutrients from the water column. Nutrient rich substrate shouldn't help it beyond leeching nutrients.

Well, I am sorry I have had a different experince. I had a few stems in my bettas 5g lit with a 13W CFL and it did nothing. Just kinda sat there until it died. However, when I went with a dirt substrate it has done much better. It has also excelled in my female betta's tank which is also dirt. In that tank the stuff grows about 1 inch per day.

Would anacharis and wisteria help keep nitrate levels lower? Do they need special ferts?

Or maybe just anacharis since I'm getting mixed reviews about wisteria?

Yep, they both do wonderfully at absorbing excess nitrates/nutrients. I don't think they need any ferts at all. Sounds like aqua_chem has done fine growing wisteria w/o ferts and I have never fertilized any of my tanks with anacharis.

adadkins1 said:
No problem, hope you find some good looking plants. Once you go planted there is not going back. (y)

I hope so. My younger brother thinks that real plants wouldn't look good, but i think just the opposite. I think the more natural the better.

Back
Top Bottom