Beginner question - what is that slime?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PlatyLady

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay, so I probably should know this by now, but what is that slime that is on everything when you take it out of the tank? You know, if you take out a plant, or decoration, it has a sort of slime on it. Not really gross or anything, but it's there. Do you scrub it clean or just leave it slimy?

Shockingly, this question came to me as we were shopping for egg nog tonight, the first really snowy day here. (Eggs being slimy and all...)

I always thought it was a combination of a thin layer of algae and benficial bacteria that grow on surfaces in the tank.

I could be wrong though.

the slime is micro-colonies of bacteria, which are the true filters of your tank.

if the colonies grow into macro sized communities they take on a brown color and can become rather thick

if I become neglectfull in my water top-offs, the spillway of my filter will get colinized by these critters, and then after refilling the water, my mollies and catfish quickly clean it right off again.

Cool, i have a bucket which I use to let my water sit, besides adding deChlor and if i leave my water change hose or something just sitting there, a layer of that "slime" starts growing. I like it, feels funny... I figured it also helped protect the fish from rough surfaces and so...

Back
Top Bottom