Being A Beginner Sure Isn't Easy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClassicRocker

Aquarium Advice Regular
Our first, and perhaps, only aquarium we will ever have. It's a Marineland 5 gallon and NICE! Will have only one male Betta, a Moss Ball and perhaps a couple of Ghost Shrimp. Have replace two artificial plants with a Anubias Congensis and will replace another artificial with a Java Fern. Taking the advice of some experienced people concerning live plants!

Now, the only thing is......after many hour of internet research (being retired can be beneficial), have figured out that fish-keeping isn't that easy!
dizzy.png
Cycling, water tests, water changes, choosing fish that get along, number of fish to have, size of aquarium to have, etc., etc..

Don't know if Fairs still have the Goldfish game where a person would try to toss a Ping-Pong Ball into a Goldfish bowl floating in a child's pool and win a Goldfish, but I remember it! Get the Ping-Pong Ball into the bowl and get a small Goldfish to take home (not the bowl). Take the fish home, put into a clear glass bowl (or buy a Goldfish Bowl), buy some Fish Food and that was it. No cycling, testing of water, plants, toys.......just a water change once in a while and fish food! Simple!

I really wonder how many Beginner's feel this way and how many experienced Aquarist's remember those "Beginner days"?

I started keeping fish 30 years ago. I had many failures. It is only now that I have really put effort into understanding the true chemistry of the water that I am succeeding better. I enjoy the tank more and of course the fish are 'happy'.
I do think that forums like this are invaluable to the beginner, didn't even have the Internet when I started out, but I do understand what a beginner might feel like being bombarded with all this information.
Glad you're in the hobby. Start by keeping it simple and let your tank grow with your knowledge.
Enjoy!

I am going to get fussed at here...but i started about 5 years ago. My ex left his aquarium here and i thought why the heck not. I bought ummm some mollies i think. Heater, light, pump, tank and gravel. No testing kit, didnt know anything about it. Water levels meant Nothing to me. I filled up the tank, waited 24 hours for the water temp to get right, and i put fish in. Fish were happy! 4 tanks later i love the hobby, i have millions of fish but the water care has definitely taken the fun out of it!

Fishkeeping is easy. Just don't get caught up in all the hype about water chemistry and remember the most crucial part of it is being committed to it.
I'm sure you have read all the nightmares, mysteries and dark side on cycling a tank, it does not have to be this hard. If you know how to do a water change, you can keep fish, so it's not that much different than when you and I kept fish decades ago. Having a 5 gallon should be easy for you to maintain and a 50% water change is only two and a half gallons. Good luck!

My Gosh! I got into this hobby in 1962. It was a horrible time for fish keeping. There was very little knowledge of the chemistry & biology of fish keeping we have now. Even the expert fish keepers managed with luck, hess & guess. You learned by trial & error and through many dead fish. HOB's, test kits, and all the other wonderful things wasn't even dreamed of yet. What we did learn there was no way to share it much with others. No computers, no internet. I rejoice with what we have today! I'm sure the fish would too if they could. OS.

I started just about 10 years ago and just recently hot back into it... Merry Christmas they said. Here's a fish tank they said. Get some fish they said. It will be fun they said. Not for a 9 year old animal lover that could raise an orphaned new born calf, but couldn't seem to keep a fish alive for more than 2 weeks!!!

I started just about 10 years ago and just recently hot back into it... Merry Christmas they said. Here's a fish tank they said. Get some fish they said. It will be fun they said. Not for a 9 year old animal lover that could raise an orphaned new born calf, but couldn't seem to keep a fish alive for more than 2 weeks!!!

Lol thats funny! I am sure it didnt take much to get the hang of it!

Welcome to the forum! I bet you will get hooked and want another tank as soon as you finish setting up your 5 gallon like me

Once you get the hang of it, it's totally worth it, but the water changes are a pain.. I'm guessing that 5g wont last long.. It's an obsessive hobby :p

Yes they do still have goldfish at fairs. My kids came home from a fair 18 months ago with two of them and that's how I got started. I went from fish bowl to a 10g to a 60g tank and love it!! I too had no clue there was so much to know but once the tank is cycled as long as you do regular water changes and don't overstock you will be fine. And if there is a problem just post here! Plenty of experts to help. Enjoy!!

Fishkeeping can be fairly easy really. If i had to list my essentials of fish keeping i'd go with.
1x Tank
1x Filter
1x Bucket
1x gravel vac
Tap water conditioner or prime
Fish food
Fish
A net for catching fish
Somewhere to keep the fish if you need to empty the tank or QT new fish.
A little bit of dedication

Feeding good foods and keeping a regular WC schedule will go a long way towards keeping a healthy tank if no disease strikes randomly. Keeping the right fish for your tank the right food for your fish and knowing how much to feed will help to keep the water quality good for longer periods too. A little knowledge is a big help though and AA is a great place to build your knowledge. Never be afraid to ask questions.

Back
Top Bottom